Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i try to CTRL + click on a layer but no selection is made

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi

Are you Ctrl clicking on the layers thumbnail to make the selection

2020-01-08 10_03_23-Microsoft Edge.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Are you Ctrl clicking on the layers thumbnail to make the selection

2020-01-08 10_03_23-Microsoft Edge.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you are clicking on a layer that is empty or has pixels that have an opacity less than 50%. I see nothing show in its thumbnail and it been rasterized if it was a shape layer. Did the shape have a fill? If it was still a shape the Vector mask would be set as a selection even if not filled.

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack

I was just highlighting the layers thumbnail that the OP needs to Ctrl click on 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. One of my students happened to have the same issue. I suggested that maybe she should update the software, that maybe some preferences were corrupted but in the end all she wanted was a way to select the content of a layer without having to do ctrl+click as it wasn't working. It's amazing that some Adobe software has upt to three or four ways to do the same thing and I wasn't able to find another way to do this selection.
Eventually and after trying several things on my own (since nobody ever said this on these forums) I found this on the Select Menu, there's an option called Focus Area that could do the trick were everything else seems to be failing. Hope it can help you and some others having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jorge Villafradez wrote:

Eventually and after trying several things on my own (since nobody ever said this on these forums)

You can also right-click the icon in the layer and choose to Select Pixels from the context menu.

Any chance she was on a Mac? If so, the shortcut is Command + click the layer thumbnail.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey!   In the layers tab  Ctrl + L click select Individual layers, Shift + L click selects all the in-between layers you choose from A to B
But in the working area  to select you have to use Shift + L click  it'll work as the Ctrl + L click in the layers area

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines