Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CTRL + "key" shortcuts not working in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Today I came across this issue. So any of the CTRL + "key" shortcuts are not working in Photoshop. In other programs as well as in Illustrator and InDesign all seems to work fine. I have tried to reset preferences and reinstall the program and even install previous versions, but the problem persists. Photoshop is stock, with no plugins and no additional gear (drawing pads etc.). OS is the latest Windows 10 update (1809), and PS the latest version.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

EDIT: It seems that any of the letter key shortcuts don't work. So the letter keys themselves seem not to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Okay, now I seem to have found the issue.

It is in system language preferences and, as mentioned, concerns the 1809 release of Windows 10.

I prefer to use my Photoshop and other Adobe programs in English, and they are installed as such. Previously I used the English (Finland) as the system language, Finland as the country of region, English (Finland) as the regional formatting and Finnish (QWERTY) as the keyboard layout. The problems with CTRL+(key) -shortcuts occurred occasionally.

I changed the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Nevermind!

It looks like the issue was Screenshot Studio. After closing this program, Ctrl+D started working normally again.

Hope this helps someone else!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the problem in my system. All my shortcuts involving Ctrl+Shift+<key> weren't working. Simply turn off the HOTKEYS option from your Graphics Cards Settings Program. I have AMD RX6600. In my case, it was AMD Software Adrenaline Edition (or Pro Edition). Ctrl+Shift+S and all other shortcuts are working back however, Adobe has reduced the list of formats I can export in the "Save As" menu and moved all of them to the "Save As Copy" menu. I'm on Windows 10 22H2, and Photoshop 24.1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any program monopolizing hotkeys will disable this for programs in focus. You should limit that to very few keys that are normally not used by your application. 

Photoshop always switched to Save as Copy when using formats that did not allow to save all the file with all layers and settings. For some reason Apple OS change reason, the Save as did not work correctly anymore. So Adobe needed to change this on Apple OS. To stay consistent, they introduced this change also to the Windows eco system.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case somebody stumbles across this - hopefully before going mad...

Okay some modern predecessor which eats up your key strokes is Microsoft Powertoys. Most of the shortcuts are listed within the settings dialog. But the one eresponsible to make ctrl+alt+shift+e not working was the "mouse without borders" tool (foud this by disabling one tool after the other).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the issue has been resolved for quite some time. I don't think I made any changes to my settings, so most of the shortcuts seem to be working now.  However, in the past year, I have noticed that when Photoshop (any version) first starts up, the shortcuts DO NOT WORK the first time I want to perform a WIA scan. After the very first use, the shortcuts begin to work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

Dealing with the same Photoshop shortcut issue. Pretty annoyed that Adobe's pushing users to mess with Windows settings to fix their bug. Also not a fan of the aggressive charges and hefty cancellation fees. Adobe, step up and do the work and fix it yourselves! 

Not cool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is this behaviour back? After the latest update now CTRL always activates auto select. Before I used CTRL+W to close my window tabs all time and now this doesn't work anymore. Annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines