Exit

Custom Color Librairies in Photoshop

Enthusiast ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to add a custom color library, here :

2022-03-22_13-36-33.jpg

I heard that our "friends", at PANTONE, will soon be selling their "libraries" to us directly? No more blundling by Adobe...

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

For anyone interested, I successfully generated my own *.ACB Color Book file to hold my 1324 Munsell colors :

2022-03-23_16-42-06.jpg

I used a JavaScript found here :

json-photoshop-scripting/Utility-Scripts/Generate-Color-Book-File at master · tonton-pixel/json-photoshop-scripting · GitHub

It's really simple. But you need to install the JSON Action Manager in the Home folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to just insert it into your Program>Adobe>Presets>Color Books area. But otherwise, when you get your swatches, you'll be able to import them to your Swatches panel, and view them by name and list.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have .ACO files aka color "librairies" but it is a color "book" aka .ACB file I'm after.

I stumbled across some utility that does create custom ACB but it's only "RGB". I need to create Lab ACB.

The main feature of color books I'm after is the underlying color matching function. 

Thank you for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone interested, I successfully generated my own *.ACB Color Book file to hold my 1324 Munsell colors :

2022-03-23_16-42-06.jpg

I used a JavaScript found here :

json-photoshop-scripting/Utility-Scripts/Generate-Color-Book-File at master · tonton-pixel/json-phot...

It's really simple. But you need to install the JSON Action Manager in the Home folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing how you did it! That is really helpful.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work Roger and very generous of you to share the method here

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone's interested, I have compiled the 1324 colors of my glossy Edition of the Munsell Book of Colors in the *.ACB format. I measured every swatches by hand using a freshly certified GretagMacbeth SpectroEye, perfectly usable in Photoshop. The file is available here :

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkD78CVR1NBqmNMpaS3hPXWEqvruMA?e=PgIPAvXXXXX.jpg

Hope I'm not breaking any Community standards by sharing this document here.

Note that I purposely prefixed all colors with "[RB]" to denote the origin of the colors, in case you would receive other Color Books under the same name in the futur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created a small Matlab script to analyze images in 3D and added a Munsell Color capability. I was excited by the ability to find Munsell colors out of any RGB image but was curious whether that capability could be added to Photoshop. The only thing "missing" would be the measure of "color difference", in DeltaE76, for example. That would be the cherry on the icing... Here, on the following screen capture, you can see the image projection in 3D CIE Lab space along with its 2D "usual" presentation, and Photoshop on the left. 2022-03-24_19-06-09.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines