• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Define variable names via script from layer names?

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to create script which go true whole PSD file and create variables using layer names? Now I must select each layer and type name manually. I want this option to automate, so layer name is always variable name? It's possible?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes with some caveats, such as layer groups, comps, hidden layers, etc.

Search on this forum, this topic has been covered a number of times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please explain what you mean exactly? 

Maybe some screenshots could help illustrate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my layer name is fx. dk-date and I want variable name make automated with same name as dk-date etc. so I dont must select each layer and type from finger

Screenshot_1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post meaningful screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how looks my layers. Automation/script should select layer in variables dropdown, copy name and paste into field for "Text replacement". Im working on the system for "Multilingual designs translation". fx for marketing, when you have 1 banner design in 10 languages.

After all changes, I have script to export all layer names to csv, then people can translate layers and on the end I can import csv again to PS via Variables 🙂 I done 98%, I'm missing only this part. My idea works also without but if you have many layer, design must spend time only on "select from dropdow" and type the layer name again, and It takes time. 🙂 When everything is done, I will publish whole base to all users.

Screenshot_3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean variables as in the scripting term... Or do you mean Variables in the "data driven graphics" term:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/creating-data-driven-graphics.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I must go to Image > Variable >  Define > and write manually Variable name in Variable type, but I want this make somehow automatically if possible, so I save time with typing when I have a lot of layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, there is is anoing one step >

Rename a variable

• Choose Image > Variables > Define.
  • Choose the layer that contains the variable from the Layer pop‑up menu.
  • To rename the variable, enter a name in the Name text box. Variable names must begin with a letter, underscore, or colon and cannot contain spaces or special characters (except for periods, hyphens, underscores, and colons).
  • To remove the variable, deselect it.

And I want to some how make it easier and faster, select in dropdown, type with finger... it's ok when you have 5 layers, but I'm expecting more than 30... few times per week so it's generate waste of time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a link to the only script code that I know of for variables:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/using-datasets/td-p/2665594

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines