• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete layer mask without applying it

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a layer mask, I select it then click the garbage can to delete it. The mask deletes, but is applied first without asking me. How can I make it delete without applying the thing? Seems that would be a primary motivation behind deleting, is not wanting it to be there right? Instead, it's helpfully applied first. 

Photoshop 22.5.0, MacBook Pro 2019 Catalina. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you tried with context menu - right click on layer mask > Delete Layer Mask. I am on Windows by the way.

Perhaps you checked that Do Not Show Again in  the dialogue? From Preferences > General you can Restore All Warning Dialogues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to the reply from Bojan, you can hold down the opt/alt modifier key while you click the trash or drag to the trash to force the mask to be removed without being applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Alt has been nicknamed the "make better" key by Michael Ninness, IIRC.

It usually gets you an alternate and sometimes the opposite behavior of many operations in the Adobe applications:

Painting with a Brush lays down color, adding Alt, it samples color. 

Using the Eyedropper tool samples the foreground color, with Alt, it samples the background color...

Many menus have periods at the end, it means you would get a prompt, like "New Layer..." if you add Alt as you click it, you bypass the prompt.

OTOH, clicking on the new layer icon in the Layers Panel does not give you a prompt to name it... Guess what happens if you hold Alt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

20+ years using ps, and never thougt of that... thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines