• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Design the Photoshop Forums Banner challenge (on-going)

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We’d like to start an on-going challenge to share your creative talent with others.

Purpose: Create a Photoshop Forums Banner for the Photoshop forums overview page.

PSBannerChallenge-wide.jpg

Using the template in this post, submit your Photoshop Forums Banner design by attaching your image in a response to this thread. We’ll then select the best submissions and use them for our Photoshop Forums banner image. A new banner image will be selected by an internal Adobe committee every 3 months and used in the Photoshop forums.

Use the attached banner template design as a starting point for your designs and will help you position your imagery where it won’t be covered:

Here's a link to another template, created by Trevor.Dennis with the PS logo, menu bar and text on a plain background to help with design element placement and help you keep everything within safe bounds.

Image dimensions: 1400px ×150px (72dpi)

File size: 30kb or less

File types: .JPG or .PNG

Please keep all submissions Photoshop-related (Photoshop UI is OK to use), safe for work, and use image content you have the rights to (do not use any copyrighted images).

Post your designs to this thread, and check back every couple of weeks where we’ll feature one of your designs here on the Photoshop Forums which is seen by over 35,000 people each month!

Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Regards

Adobe Social Team

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 153 Replies 153
Advisor ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete.Green wrote:

Do you have a version of it that you can attach to this thread without the PS logo, following, or PS general discussion text? Just the background image that you can share, the rest is populated by Jive.

In case it helps anyone, I have placed a layered revised template on Dropbox​ with the logo, menu bar and text on a plain background like below.  This would at least give you an idea of design element placement and help you keep everything within safe bounds.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor.

I've added the second template dropbox link to the main thread post.

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop banner.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Thanks Barzzeb!

Just note that we cannot change the position of the Follow button, or change the color of the background that the buttons (overview/content/people,etc) are sitting on.

The left side will already have the PS Avatar as seen currently on the overview page, so I fear the Photoshop on the left will be covered up.

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I submit other designs in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, feel free to submit multiple designs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pete.Green

I used the Template.psd you provided.

1150 x 150px

-------------

72 DPI

JPG (progressive)

sRGB

PSBanner.jpg

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really great Nancy -- thanks for contributing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy O. wrote:

@Pete.Green

I used the Template.psd you provided.

1150 x 150px

-------------

72 DPI

JPG (progressive)

sRGB

PSBanner.jpg

Nancy O.

That's lovely Nancy, and you have reminded me that I didn't even think about file size.  I just did my normal trick of pasting a screen shot without saving.  You can tell that I don't know much about website graphics 😞

Doing it properly brings it down from 79kb to 13.5kb. 

Forum-Banner-(Trevor-Dennis).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an idea for a banner, but I won't be able to enter this round Next round I hope my idea turns out well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I wonder where is Russell Brown (Senior Creative Director at Adobe Systems Incorporated as well as an Emmy Award-winning instructor ). Is he the final judge ?

As a CD myself and a "provocative agent", I would expect some feedback from him. (at the least). Since he was my first teacher about all Adobe.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you know there is a team at Adobe so maybe he can't be a judge, then again, I wouldn't know.  Who would hopefully be able to answer is Pete.Green.

Why you want a provocative agent, to cause anger or frustration ?

I assume you learned how to be a Creative Director, (not a fan of the acronym wave that is sweeping the world but Que Sera Sera) from Russel Brown Training ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi postrophe and others,

Russell Brown most likely won't be involved in voting, at least in first round. Perhaps in a future round we can get his feedback, or maybe even have him submit one for vote as well. This challenge is run mostly by myself, and voting will be done by myself and others on the Adobe Social team.

I haven't decided when the first one will be selected. I had thought to wait to see how much engagement we get, then decide then. The first selection may happen a little later this month, or perhaps at the start of July. Future voting phases will take place 3 months after the first banner selection. If there are enough entries, it's possible we change it out on a more frequent cadence, perhaps monthly.

Loving the creativity so far. Thanks to all who are uploading their designs. 

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If there are enough entries, it's possible we change it out on a more frequent cadence, perhaps monthly.

I agree it should not be too disruptive. ( but the Web is a dynamic environment ) As for showing winners art, it can be an image rotator (on page re-load), so you can show more concepts without being disruptive. (goes with idea that there are many ways/tools for creation in Photoshop, even making a simple concept). Many times we see members sharing divers ways to achieve something. That's a big plus for a forum.

So, what is Photoshop, ( a patch of plugins code, a bunch of great engineer ideas, a lifestyle, etc.. )

So, what is a forum, ( a bunch of great motivated user's/helper, a bunch of paid sale people, a lifestyle, etc.. )

How can we blend these ideas ? Pete, you started a nice challenge.

As I'v said ( the Web is a dynamic environment ) and "imagination" has no limit.

Pierre

Agent provocateur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another:

TemplatePs forum.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like your design a lot, Kat. The JIVE forum populates the logo, text, Follow and menu bar.  All forum title text is positioned on the left side next to the logo.  See Trevor's examples for reference.  I may be wrong but I don't think it's possible to change element placement on JIVE.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy... I know jive has its own rules but sometimes visual clarity works best for me.... thus I push. Know you are right but I have played around with jive formats in other aspects and there wasn't a hard and fast rule but with headings there prob. is a lock down system!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It flips OK and I think it looks even nicer.  I am not so sure we are going be allowed to design with black text in mind, again because of the automatic population by the forum software.  I did the same with my Mt Rushmore spoof, but that was tongue in cheek and not a serious entry.

Most of it works with white text, but the subspace name is lost.  I agree with Nancy, but still about equal for this and Nancy's designs IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StrongBeaver wrote:

Pretty good

Just to clarify that the last two under my name was Kat's design flipped to make it fit the forum software.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, then the comment goes to Kat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StrongBeaver wrote:

Oh, then the comment goes to Kat

Where's your banner?   You have been doing interesting work lately.  How about taking half an hour to put one together.   None of mine took longer than an hour — even the animated banners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely beautiful. I feel this is gaining momentum.

I'd like to pop one in myself later, but I need to let it mature a little while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When does the competition end and the image get uploaded?  Is it at the end of this month?

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines