• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Detailed Etched Glass Needs Background Edited Out

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been assigned to clean up the background of a door with etched glass. The design is very beautiful and intricate. Apart from using the Object Select tool, is there a way to edit out the messy background that won't be mind-numbingly nauseating? The goal here is to showcase the door on a website where presentation matters. I don't have access to any stock photos of this design, so I need the magic of PS and the creative minds to wield a fantastic solution. Also since I will have to repeat this process at least five more times from different angles, I'm hoping you can point me to something not complicated as I am a beginner with various experience.  The entire image has to be visible and it needs to look like there's nothing behind the glass itself.Etched Glass.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Now we're getting into the not so simple issues.

The glass has a ripple effect, so you could create an overlay and apply a Filter Gallery of Glass or Ocean Ripple and adjust to create a highlight area on top of the covering layer.  Again this would take time and trial and error to find the exact formula to replicate the texture in the existing glass.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 11.12.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no easy way to make a clean selection of this, so I would use the shoot-it-again filter.  Put the camera on a tripod, and place a black cloth behind the windows.  Take multiple shots if your black cloth will not stretch across all of the windows at once. and combine the shots with Photoshop.  Use longer focal length lens if you have the space to get back from the windows.  This will minimise distortion and refections.  

I have a bunch of these cheep-as-chips fleece blankets, and have used them time after time for covering windows, flagging out reflections etc.  I got mine from The Warehouse in New Zealand, but you'll find them in stores like Kmart, and they are super useful for photographers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes, I did forget to mention that a reshoot isn't possible. There is only one chance to get it with no provisions of adding in a backdrop. So I have to edit it. :[

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont overthink it - use basic selection tools to create a masked layer then paint in a neutral color to cover up the distractions. Granted, you'll have to zoom in on areas to get in the details but in general this would work.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 10.24.07 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 10.28.59 AM.png

Keep in mind this is quick and dirty with no time given for accuracy, but within minutes most of the distracting elements are gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is helpful. However, the texture of the glass needs to be apparent throughout. The texture is less noticable on the lower half where the concrete is showing. In the original photo I posted, you can see the cart is very warped and distorted. I would need that texture to still be seen but transparent, like you're looking through a window. The glass itself needs to be showcased so that clients can see what this option offers. A neutral color camoflagues that too much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we're getting into the not so simple issues.

The glass has a ripple effect, so you could create an overlay and apply a Filter Gallery of Glass or Ocean Ripple and adjust to create a highlight area on top of the covering layer.  Again this would take time and trial and error to find the exact formula to replicate the texture in the existing glass.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 11.12.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it really not possible to reshoot, or do they just not understand why?

Whenever I see an image like this, accompanied by "make it shine in Photoshop", I cringe. Garbage in, and all that.

Etched glass is shot with backlight just out of the frame. Shield the lights well. This is straight out of the camera:

VK_02779.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The door has already shipped and it is the only one of its kind. The ongoing issue is that the company expects "make it shine in PS" and hasn't comprehended that this isn't a possibility with every product picture request. It's an ongoing complication that I hope to remedy in the near future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future reference, Trevor's black felt is a good suggestion, always useful as first aid. Backlight is still the best way to avoid reflections and put some sparkle in the etching - but given that these are large surfaces, it might be more practical with black backing and steep-angle light from either the front or back. As always, it depends on circumstances.

Anyway, the point remains. Some things are done with lighting, not Photoshop. While it may be possible to do in Photoshop, the amount of painstaking and deadly tedious work is wildly out of proportion. Labor till you drop, or accept an inferior result - or do it right to begin with. Three choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No magic bullet. You mentioned the Object Select tool, and that's how I would start out. I only did one piece as an example.

Using the Object Selection tool set to Lasso, I selected the area to the right of the tree.

image.png

Then added a glass texture with a mask based on the selection.

The glass was too white so I added a light gray color overlay that matches the lighter parts of the design.

image.png

In the lower corner there seems to be a box showing through. That area could be desaturated with Hue/Saturation.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glass partitions, sliding doors and room dividers provide a flexible way to physically separate different areas in a space, such as separating the kitchen from the dining room or creating privacy in a home office while maintaining open space. 

Architectural hardware such as glass partitions and doors play an important role in modern architecture, offering both functional and aesthetic benefits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Consulting with experts enables personalized insights aligned with specific requirements, ensuring that the installation complies with safety standards and aligns with design preferences. Enlisting the expertise of professionals guarantees a smooth incorporation of these architectural elements, optimizing their advantages both in terms of functionality and aesthetics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not doing much better that my friends but with the idea of getting rid of colors in the house and forcing on contrast since the wood is not very interesting…

Etched Glass-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines