• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different colors exporting from TIFF to JPG

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have a problem of color mismatching once I finished retouching my TIFF file and exported it in JPG.

This is the workflow:

1. export from LR, TIFF format 16bit sRGB.
  2. retouch with Photoshop
  3. export to JPG attaching the color profile to the file.

Once I export the JPG and I open it in the same TIFF file, the difference is already noticeable (as shown in the attached video).

Granted it's a minor change. still it's frustrating to see the result being different from what I retouched, almost dulled-out.

Could someone help me?

Thanks! 🙂

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

100% preview is correct as each individual pixel in every layer is blended and displayed.

When you zoom out, the pixels in each layer have to be grouped and averaged for display on screen, then the layers are blended together. However when you flatten an image, which is what happens when you export, each individual pixel is blended at full resolution.

For many images, it makes very little difference, however for some (particular those with fine noise or fine contrasting detail) the difference be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What application are you viewing the JPEG? Is it color managed? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Photoshop, I open it just after exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compare before and after at 100% zoom. Now do they look the same ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently they do!

The histogram changes though... What's going on? 
I attached histograms and close-up screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% preview is correct as each individual pixel in every layer is blended and displayed.

When you zoom out, the pixels in each layer have to be grouped and averaged for display on screen, then the layers are blended together. However when you flatten an image, which is what happens when you export, each individual pixel is blended at full resolution.

For many images, it makes very little difference, however for some (particular those with fine noise or fine contrasting detail) the difference becomes noticable. So what you are really seeing is the difference between a fast , but not wholly accurate, zoomed out preview and a fully accurate 100% zoom preview. Hence the advice is always check your layered image at 100% zoom before flattening or exporting as this is the accurate preview.

The small triangle in the histogram means the histogram is built from the cache data, used when zoomed out, not from the full image data. You can click on the triangle to get it to use the full data.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much Dave, everything is clear now.
Have a nice day! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines