Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Art Effect- How To?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I need some help. I am trying to develop my digital art in Photoshop (Windows). There is a particular "effect" I am trying to achieve that eludes me. I am trying to get the cracked or crackled effect in the oil painting example shown with this message. How can I achieve this? 

Thanks in advance. 

Bryan

Art Example.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're going to need multiple passes. This is not a single canned effect. You run a Find Edges or stroke a manual selection, then applly some jitter or roughening with a suitable filter (Roughen Edges or one of the painterly filters) then on top run the Craquelure and Fractal Noise filters. It all needs to be tackled in layers and the real trick is to tweak settings and use multiple layer duplicates with blending modes and different opacities and multiple filter instances with different settings. I'm sure there's alsos some old "grunge look" tutorials and similar out there that can help to learn some of the techniques.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It looks like will be a lot of experimentation. I'm sure I'll find a way, even if I have to use brute force and create every crack and spot manually. I don't have studio space to work with traditional materials so, digital painting is my best option for creating the art I want to make. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to @Mylenium 's great advice, in Photoshop there are always many different roads to the same destination. In this case, there isn't one pat answer, I  mean nobody is going to say "Just go to Filter A and click and you're done."  Open the image you want to work with, and immediately save it under a different filename so as to keep the original untouched. Then duplicate the layer and play with different effects, starting with the ones @Mylenium mentions below.  You'll probably discover new ways to achieve various things as you go along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines