• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disabling Snapping for Perspective/Free Transforming?

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop for a long time, but since this latest update of Photoshop it seems that they've added snapping to the perspective/skew/free transform i.e.when you hold Ctrl or Alt while dragging the corners of a layer.

Maybe it was there before, but now it's been activated by default and for this one particular tool it's a real pain in the ass to work with, as it's typically something where each pixel makes a difference. In most cases I like snapping, but for this tool it hinders more than it helps IMO.

I've just tested and found that even after disabling snapping completely it's still doing it. So does anyone know how this feature can be turned off?

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Pressing ctrl simultaneously with the other qualifiers should disable it.

But you may have to also press shift to get the behaviour you previously had without shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressing ctrl simultaneously with the other qualifiers should disable it.

But you may have to also press shift to get the behaviour you previously had without shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, but it doesn't work. Shift does allow for some slightly less restricted movement, but it's still snapping to certain positions.

Update: Okay scratch that, the type of layer I tested it with was the issue. I tried another layer and it worked without snapping when holding shift. I get it now it's the legacy control system change, I think I'll be making the switch back, I kinda think it's the other programs that need to change, set in my way I guess, see that's how little I thought snapping made sense when warping perspectives, in 10+ years of using the program I've never even tried, or knew it was an option,

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an extremely annoying feature of Skew.  Shift and/or Ctrl do not work for me.  What does work is skewing in only one direction at a time.  If you try to drag something up and to the right, you will get the snapping.  But if you drag it up first, let go of your mouse, and then drag it to the right, it seems to work just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please elaborate and post screenshots to illustrate. 

Why are you using Skew instead of Free Transform? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure why I am being criticized, as I was really happy to share the simple solution I came up with.  Skew is one of the choices in Free Transform.  Free Transform by itself does not do what Skew does.  However, one could use Distort to do the same thing.  A screen shot is not the appropriate way to show all this, you would have to use a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you triggering Skew via the menu (Edit > Transform > Skew) or via the Free Transform contextual menu? 

I fail to see how the effect of Skew could not be achieved with Free Transform outright (by cmd- or cmd-shift-dragging the appropriate handles). 

If you feel inappropriately criticized please re-read my previous post but try imagining it in a neutral newscaster-like tone instead of whatever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turns out you are right, Free Transform can work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines