Exit

Document pans when in "2-up Vertical" mode

Contributor ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy Holidays to all

-Photoshop CC2014.2

-Two documents open, they are in arranged such as "Window/Arrange/2-up Vertical"

-Overscroll is disabled in the preferences

-Both images are zoomed in closely (to the point where both documents show the horizontal and vertical scrollbars)

Select the Paintbrush tool. On one of the images, hold down the ALT key and while the ALT key is held down, drag the cursor over across to the other document.

The first image you started on begins to pan/scroll over to the side.

...it's driving me MAD!!!!!!! So mad that I will have to crack open an Easter Egg to get over it

Is there a way to stop this??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it totally makes sense that it would scroll. When you hold down the Alt key with the paintbrush tool, you are no longer on the paintbrush. You are on the color picker tool. So it is trying to move the image around to where you are wanting to pick a color from. If you want to color pick from the other image, you just need to move the cursor over the other image first, select the other image and then click alt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah-ha! Excellent! Regards, Daniel E Lane!

I did not know that, thank you for explaining it.

However. Why does the document pan when you drag the eyedropper tool outside of it? If the cursor is no longer inside the document, I still do not unerstand why it would pan like that. Should it not just continue to sample colors outside of the document and not pan it over to the side? Why it does this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you have made the color picker the active tool. If you were to pick the eyedropper in the tool bar instead, it wouldn't do that scrolling. But since you are in paintbrush tool, then actively using the alt key to make it work as the color picker, it is active and attuned to the image at hand. as soon as you release the alt key, it can move outside of the image no problem. And since the color picker is active with it held down, it is panning around so you can find the color you want to pick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i see what you're saying. here is my workflow:

I am zoomed in closely to the document on the right side. I then hold down alt to sample a color. But I decide I would like to pick up a color from the document on the left side. So to make it easy, while alt is still held down, I just glide the cursor over to the document on the left. But document on the right pans when I do this. I understand to release the mouse button before gliding over the the document on the left will solve this. But it is a little nitpick yes I agree, but somewhat of a workflow disruption. I still think that when the cursor has exited the document over to document on left with alt held down, then document on right should not pan. I really wish there was a way to prevent it.

From a programming/coding point of view, I do not understand the logic it or why it works this way. Why does the document pan over - it seems to serve no purpose. Yikes!

thank you for your input on this.

oh, actually -try this:

(make sure autoscroll is disabled)

Now document on the right, zoom way out so the entire canvas is visible and scrollbars are gone. Next, repeat same process: select paintbrush tool, then hold down alt, then drag cursor over to document on left. Notice- the document on right does not pan!! It only pans when it is zoomed in closer!

this is peculiar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines