• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document size warning while saving

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would I be getting a document size too big warning while saving a tiff file that is only 1.49G? This file does not exceed the 4.00G file size. It is a 16bit tiff file and the document size at bottom left of the window is 216.3M/1.49G. Dimensions are 27.327 in x 15.37 in at 300 ppi. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug. I know I've saved bigger tiffs than this before.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @FFOP, as a test, if you change from 16 Bits to 8 Bits, are you able to save the file? There could be several reasons why the file isn't saving, but I don't think it's a program bug. Are you running Photoshop 24.0.1 version? Here are some other threads on this topic you might want to skim.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/tiff-file-over-4gb-print-project/td-p...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/size-limit-on-tif-files-in-photoshop-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response JEL. Yes it does save after converted to 8 bit and yes I am running Photoshop 24.0.1. Oddly it also will save at 16 bit if I delete the top layer which is just a vobrance layer. When I do delete that layer I see no file size change which I think is strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, @FFOP, I'm happy to help start ruling out some potential conflicts. That is strange about the vibrancy layer making a difference. I'm assuming it's just created with Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Vibrance. Is it clipped to the layer below it? Is the adjustment drastic (i.e., more or less than +/- 50)? Not that this should have anything to do with it, but I'm curious what makes it the “straw” that breaks the camel's back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats correct, the vibrance layer was created in the normal way and not clipped to the underlying layer. Very minimal adjustment of +2, +2 with normal blend mode. I don't get it unless Photoshop is misreporting the file size at the bottom left of the window. What I ended up doing was merging the bottom two layers which reduced the file size to 1.34G as reported in the document size info at the bottom left of the window. It DID save after that. Here is the weird part. I opened file explorer and went to the file and checked the file properties. It is actually 3.81G in size. So it actually was larger than 4.00G prior to merging the two bottom layers. I guess I don't understand why the little info panel at the bottom left reports it as 1.34G and if that's wrong, how am I supposed to keep track of file size as I develop an image so I can stay below the 4G limit? My understanding of that info pane is it shows the beginning size of the original image before the slash and that remains unchanged as you develop the image. After the slash it shows the size of the image as you add adjustment layers and sharpening layers and such as you develop. Each time you add something it shows the new size. If that is not the actual document size then how do I know if I am going over the 4.00G limit before I find out the hard way when it won't save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has never accurately reported size documents take up on a drive. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can remember this happening more than once before. I think I just ended up eliminating a layer or two and never really exploring it. I guess the solution is to try and use as few pixel layers as possible while developing the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same 'size' (216.3M) if I make a 'new' doc with those specifications, but that other (/) 1.49G is really odd unless you've got a large number of layers. Is that the case? 

You might try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dog........ Only 9 layers including the background layer. 3 of the layers are Smart Objects. If I delete the top layer which is a vibrance layer it will save at 16 bit although I see no file size change when I delete that layer. It will also save if I convert it to 8 bit. In prefrences I had "Enable Legacy Save As" checked. Unchecking it made no difference. Not sure I want to reset all preferences just yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really odd that removing that one layer now makes it work. Either a bug or something similar, maybe you can describe the layer stack or better, upload a layered doc that fails into something like Dropbox so others can test it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I posted above in response to JEL:

Thats correct, the vibrance layer was created in the normal way and not clipped to the underlying layer. Very minimal adjustment of +2, +2 with normal blend mode. I don't get it unless Photoshop is misreporting the file size at the bottom left of the window. What I ended up doing was merging the bottom two layers which reduced the file size to 1.34G as reported in the document size info at the bottom left of the window. It DID save after that. Here is the weird part. I opened file explorer and went to the file and checked the file properties. It is actually 3.81G in size. So it actually was larger than 4.00G prior to merging the two bottom layers. I guess I don't understand why the little info panel at the bottom left reports it as 1.34G and if that's wrong, how am I supposed to keep track of file size as I develop an image so I can stay below the 4G limit? My understanding of that info pane is it shows the beginning size of the original image before the slash and that remains unchanged as you develop the image. After the slash it shows the size of the image as you add adjustment layers and sharpening layers and such as you develop. Each time you add something it shows the new size. If that is not the actual document size then how do I know if I am going over the 4.00G limit before I find out the hard way when it won't save.

Thanks for the help by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines