• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drag to Select

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously I could drag to select with the move tool and now it will not let me do this. I have tried turning the "automatically select a group or layer by clicking on a visible pixel" on and off and this doesn't work. i have recently updated to the latest version of Photoshop v 24.1.1 but this didn't fix it either. I can't find a setting to enable this. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BobbyRBoyd 

The Move tool is for moving a layer or whatever is selected. It is not used for making selections. Try the Selection tools underneath the Move tool.

Try this video

https://creativecloud.adobe.com/cc/learn/photoshop/in-app/introduction-to-selections

And/or read the some of the sections here on making selections (getting started, marquee tool, lasso, etc.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/making-selections.html

When you say "automatically select a group or layer by clicking on a visible pixel", do you mean you enabled Auto Select in the options bar for the Move tool and set the mode to layer? If so, that selects a layer. Look in your Layers panel to see which layer has been selected. It does not select pixels.

Please ask if you have further questions.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photoshop installed on 2 different computer and both are running the same version. What I am saying is that on the first computer I can drag to select objects or layers and on the second computer this is not possible. I have compared both to make sure that all of the settings are exactly the same.

Here is an example of what I am trying to do. Below I have a floor plan and then I have added text "Room Numbers" and I want to align them. Previously I would just select the move tool and drag to select the text as shown. These layers would then be selected and I could choose align from the move menu.Select.png

Now the only way I select these 3 layers or multiple text is to select them in the layers menu. I am not sure what is different but on 1 computer I can do this and on the other I can not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nvm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what is different but on 1 computer I can do this and on the other I can not.

By @BobbyRBoyd

Hi Bobby,

I'm not sure either and I can't reproduce it. Can you show a screenshot from the computer that works as you expect?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured it out. It seems that I needed to lock the position of my background layers and then it lets me drag across unlocked layers to select them. Then I can move ar align them accordingly. I had one background layer locked and one was not locked. Oncve I locked both background layers it works as before. Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines