• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dragged in files are not full size in photoshop document

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several images in a folder, these images are all 1920x1080 pixels in size. 
I want to open them as layers in a single project so I open a new document in Photoshop at 1920x1080 and drag the images from the folder into the photoshop document. 
For some reason, PS keeps resizing them to be smaller than 1920x1080 when I drag them in like this despite the fact they are the exact same size as the document resolution.
Under Preferences > General, I have "Skip transform when placing" turned OFF because I don't want to have to confirm each and every image placement, and I have "Smart Objects when placing" turned OFF because I don't want to use smart objects. 
"Resize image during place" seems to do nothing. 
What am I doing wrong here? I need to be able to drag in multiple images to make layers at their true full size!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to work properly is the new document is set at 1920x1080 300 pixels/inch rather than 72 pixels/inch...
What is the difference, aren't document pixels true and pixels/inch only relevent for printing (DPI)? How does a document have different "dimensions" AND "resolution"??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How does a document have different "dimensions" AND "resolution"??

By @HSF21

A standard copy/paste will align the pixels in the documents without any regard for ppi. A 1920 x 1080 at 300ppi will paste onto a 1920 x 1080 at 72ppi and match completely. This is the native behavior. Only pixels matter.

Smart objects, which is what you get when you drag, are designed to honor physical dimensions instead of the native pixel dimensions. They do this by reading the ppi number and calculating the resulting physical size.

This can be a bit confusing at first, but it was done this way for compatibility with vector applications like Illustrator. It's the only way to make PS and Ai treat the concept of "size" identically. In effect, a smart object makes a raster image file behave as if it was a vector file.

But yes, natively in Photoshop, the image is just pixels and ppi is just metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is document PPI? What are PPI of images that you are dragging? Maybe this tutorial can help you something https://www.dezigneasy.com/2017/12/how-to-get-actual-pixel-dimensions-on.html

In short, document PPI must match dragged files PPI because thats how things work in Photoshop which will silently match resolutions in background without any notification or warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines