Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop Down Menus in Photoshop CS 6 Goes Blank In Mavericks

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm having trouble with Photoshop CS6 in Mavericks. After a working a little while, all pop up/drop down menus goes blank. They still work, but I can't see what's on them. Even the Apple menu bar is afflicted by this, though only when Photoshop is in the front.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.  PS: I do use a cintiq on a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" with retina display.

Skjermbilde 2013-10-24 kl. 00.45.45.pngSkjermbilde 2013-10-24 kl. 00.46.09.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

It looks like the plug-in fails to initialize on certain Photoshop installations. This should be fixed in:

http://www.bache.name/download/osx/WhiteWindowWorkaround.plugin1_0_5.zip

If the plug-in is properly installed, then you should see something  similar to the following in the OSX console after launching Photoshop:

Adobe Photoshop CC[14728]: WhiteWindowWorkaround Initialized

You can see the OSX console by going to “Utilities” from Finder, and then running the Console application.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 367 Replies 367
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have posted the plug-in, that selected users have tested at the following location:

http://www.bache.name/download/osx/WhiteWindowWorkaround.plugin.zip

To use: download and install into the "Plug-ins" folder inside Photoshop. If your download does not automatically "unzip" the flie, then you must do so before moving the plug-in into the plug-ins folder.

The plug-in name (after un-zipping) is "WhiteWindowWorkaround.plugin"

The plug-in currently only suppoorts Photoshop CC and CS6. If possible, I will post a version that supports CS5 tomorrow (as soon there after).

The plug-in implements one possible work-around for an issue that we are seeing in the interaction between OSX and Photoshop. At the moment, we don't think this is a Wacom issue although the issue only has been reported when using Wacom devices.

The plug-in patches a method inside OSX, and we are working with Apple on a better solution in the future.

Let us know if the problem persists after installing the plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great work Jesper, Thanks for your perseverance!

Mark

www.markenglish.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed thank you very much. I have just placed the plugin and will begin testing my workflow. Thanks again for your work on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for fixing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this. I'll try this right away for sure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As one of the people who've been experiencing this issue in an App that isn't Photoshop I thank you.

Is the workaround you're using something that can easily be ported to software other that Photoshop do you think or should I just wait for  to pull their many fingers out?

Also - hopefully people'll now stop ripping Wacom to shreds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the plugin link! Jesper and the Adobe guys working on the problem; thanks for listening to everyone in here!

I've been lurking in this thread a while. My collegue and I have been experiencing the white menus issue ever since we upgraded to Mavericks/PSCC as well. Very arbitrary when it happens. Some days I "only" have to restart photoshop 2-3 times, other days, like today, I've been plagued with white menus every 5-10 minutes.

We're both on Intuos5 Pro tablets, slightly different setup on our Macs.

I've installed the plugin now, and I've passed the link to my collegue.

Fingers crossed!

[edit] Do I understand the procedure of installing the plugin correctly when I just unzip and pull the plugin file over to my plugins folder and restarting PS? [/edit]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Unzip and pull it to where You keep Your plugins. If You open "Console" on Your Mac You should see the following (well; similar at least) when starting Photoshop if the plugin loads.

15.01.14 11:22:27,201 Adobe Photoshop CC[14226]: WhiteWindowWorkaround Initialized

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kyrre: Thanks! It's in there! Now back to work, and hope I don't see any more white menus! I'll report back later today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Jesper - wow this is really great if it works for everyone here!

Question: are you able to say what part of Apple Mavericks you're needing to work around?

As an OP mentioned above, this very well could be an issue that needs looking into for other software glitches and bugs popping up with Mavericks updates. At the very least, we all know who and where to write to, so that this can get fixed pronto across the board, or at least other devs have the heads up what to look for in their software.

Thanks again!

PS. My above post pointing to a possible problem with Google, is still valid for other lock-ups that Mavericks users may run across. I've moved a number of my clients to Firefox or Safari for the time being and haven't had any emergency calls for the last couple of days. Just FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have posted a new plug-in on: http://www.bache.name/download/osx/WhiteWindowWorkaround.plugin1_0_4.zip

The only difference from the plug-in that was posted yesterday is that the new plug-in also supports Photoshop CS5 (32 and 64 bit).

So far things are looking promising.

I'd like to thank everyone that provided information, and/or was willing to run our debug plug-ins.

I will follow up on this thread when/if we get more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't comment on the exact nature of the issue we're working around - but we are continuing to work with Apple on the issue.

And you won't believe what all Jesper had to go through to isolate the problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plug-in does not work for me.

Mavericks 10.9.1 (preinstalled on Mac mini 16G RAM)

CS 5 Version 12.0.4.

Intuos 4 Control panel/Driver version 6.3.7-3

Blank menus every 15 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the path where you installed the plug in?

Can you choose Help>System Info... and post the contents of that dialog to make sure the plug-in is installed correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tossed it. It was in Applications > PSD CS5 > Plug-ins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version did you use? The first one Jesper posted only worked in CS6 or later. This one should work in CS5: http://www.bache.name/download/osx/WhiteWindowWorkaround.plugin1_0_4.z ip

Also note, you need to restart Photoshop after putting the plug-in in the Plug-Ins folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanky! I'll try it out. Thank you for moving on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newest plug in fixed it for me, at least the past few days. Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been following this thread for a few days now, but it's time now to join this discussion.

I use Photoshop CS6, and added both of your WhiteWindowWorkaround.plugins to my Plugins folder (and then restarted my iMac).

The first thing I did was contact Apple Support, as I just purchased a new iMac, who referred me to this thread.   fyi: I've also purchased a new Wacom/Intuous "Creative Pen & Touch Tablet, and downloaded the latest Wacom driver...but I'm afraid I still have "White Windows Fever".  It seems like I can work a little longer, but the same malady keeps eventually occuring.  I too have noticed the main offender in what starts these blank windows seems to be using the Photoshop Lasso tools.

I see I am far from being alone in this, so I will try to be patient until a permanent solution is found.

Thanks to everyone there at Adobe involved in trying to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy to try another place if that is not correct. It seemed to make matters worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you launch Photoshop, do you see the following in the OSX Console:

Adobe Photoshop CC[14728]: WhiteWindowWorkaround Initialized

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jesper and everyone,

I worked without any white menus appearing after I installed the plugin yesterday! Thank you for working this thing out! Much much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesper,

Thank you so much!

Great work!

So far at least this is not a problem any more for my workflow.

I would like the other bugs that I and many others see will be fixed soon too.

(Especially the icons that get glued to the cursor got worse, the response of the menue sometimes is really bad/lagging - and this on one of the fastest machines (Photoshop CC, mac pro previous model 6core mit 1GB Graphics and 48GB RAM, separate SSD Scratch, separate SSD Raid workfile volume and so on...)

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still getting the blank windows on both CS6 and Elements 11.

Can anyone there give us an idea of when this bug will be fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the previous replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines