• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate an item moves it to the first artboard instead of current artboard

Engaged ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with Photoshop documents that contain many artboards inside and each has many elements included.

Before the upgrade to CC 2019, when I duplicated (CMD+J) any layer in an artboard, the copied layers would appear beside the original ones. The . I could move them elsewhere. Now the copied layers go to the first artboard. The first if you are looking at the document because it is placed at the top left upper corner. In the layers panel, it is the bottom one.

I use dozens of layers so by now I have to alt-click and drag to copy the layers but since I have so many layers this is not really handy for me.

Is this something new in the 2019 version that I can change back like the other great ideas they had, is it a bug or is it by design and I have to adapt my workflow to it?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Thanks - I was able to reproduce on Mac.

Yes, the cmd-J (ctrl + J) method with multiple layers (group + 1 contained layer) has also been fixed in development builds. The fix is in the pipeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two known bugs with layer duplication within an artboard. A fix is in the pipeline for both:

• Layer Panel: Dragging a layer cell to the new layer icon at the bottom of the Layer Panel.
  • Duplicate Layers Dialog: selecting a layer and then using the main menu or context menu. If you duplicate to the same artboard (e.g. Artboard 1 to Artboard 1), the layer may duplicate to (hidden) canvas coordinates instead. Auto-nesting into another artboard may follow.

In the meantime, try Option-Drag to duplicate the layer, either on-canvas or in the Layer Panel.

You mention the cmd-J duplication method. This does not appear broken to me in CC 2019 (20.0). Can you confirm this is broken for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the ctrl + J (windows) seems to work fine when I duplicate only one layer.

I do experience the problem when duplicating a group, or when dragging a layer to the duplicate icon.

If I duplicate a group using ctrl+J, then the new group appears at the top of my layer stack in the first artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I was able to reproduce on Mac.

Yes, the cmd-J (ctrl + J) method with multiple layers (group + 1 contained layer) has also been fixed in development builds. The fix is in the pipeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for commenting, good to know it's been reproduced and added to the to-do list! That's something

I'm now using option-drag alternative when the problem appears (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't), although it slows me down a little, like that it's manageable - much better than going to the first artboard to get the layers placed somewhere.

Hope it makes it soon to the published versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Single layer is OK, Group is bugged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue, it is really killing my productivity.

Even Option dragging to the new layer icon still pastes to the first artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dianar, I have been using PS CC2018 in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I think I might downgrade too, I like all the new features but im getting so many bugs its frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this issue. Quite shocking this hasn't been fixed yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm your version of Photoshop? 20.0.1 has the fixes.

If you have 20.0.1, but are still having issues, I'll need more information; I'd like to build a reproducible case we can debug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, just in case it is interesting to you, I came across another problem that somehow is similar to this one in the fact that it places layers on top of the same artboard in the document when it happens. The artboard to me is "the first" since it is placed in the top left corner in the left. In the panel it is the bottom artboard. This time, it is not related to duplicating layers but with stroke color edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines