Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Easily seperate individual elements of an image to their own layers

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knew of any tricks to quickly seperate individual elements that are all on one layer in to multiple layers. 

Example of a file I am working with attached - I want all the butterflies on individual layers, is there any quicker way to achieve this than lasso tooling each one and extracting to a new layer?

Another example of a time where this would be helpful would be when designing a yardage/pattern print, say I have drawn up a range of floral elements in procreate/photoshop but they are on one layer or for whatever reason get flattened, would there be a way to easily/efficiemtly isolate these out to seperate layers to be able to move them around individually/maniuplate colour etc?

Thanks heaps in advance.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

I can't view the screenshot, however, if the "unique" elements are separated on a transparent background, the following script can automate the process:

https://photoshopscripts.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/split-to-layers/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's very easy when you have a transparent background. Just use one of the selection tools, like the Rectangular Marquee, or the Lasso Tool, to make a selection around the image you want to put on a new layer and from the Layer menu, Choose New>Layer Via Cut (Shift-Command-J). It will automatically take that image and put it on a new layer.

Let us know if you have any other questions,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't view the screenshot, however, if the "unique" elements are separated on a transparent background, the following script can automate the process:

https://photoshopscripts.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/split-to-layers/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You Stephen_A_Marsh!!

That script is so halpful i can't belive it's not build-in the software!..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines