• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Epson Print Layout program and Alpha channels

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently downloaded the Epson Print Layout program and found that I could not load .tiff or .psd files into the program. I can load .jpegs, but I prefer not using this type. I contacted Epson and I was told "We tested it with one of our senior technicians and confirmed that the file was imported into Photoshop and turned off the Alpha Channels. Attached is the file that was saved on our end that works within Epson Print Layout."
I was able to load the .tiff file they sent back to me. They went on to say that I should contact Photoshop for help and they couldn't help any futher.

Has anyone else run into this before? I'm not sure where to turn on the Alpha Channels except when I save a copy in Photoshop where you can choose to check the Alpha Channels. I did that but it didn't solve the problem. I'm guessing that somewhere between Bridge and ACR it is turning off the Alpha channels? I'm a bit mystified. Incidently, I am able to load jpegs, but not .tiff or .psd.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the file that Epson Support sent to you have alpha channels?

Can you upload a sample here as an attachment (not as an inline image)? Feel free to resize smaller, redact sensitive content etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I know how to see if it has alpha channels is to Save As. When I do that I don't sees Alpha Channels option  box clicked. If there is way to see this elsewhere (maybe in Preferences?) please let me know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The channels panel will show alphas. I meant upload the original TIFF, as JPEG doesn't support alphas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Sorry about that. How else can you tell other than the Channels panel? I wonder if when I sent the .tiff file the channels were stripped. As a side, when I open up and look at a jpeg in Photoshop it shows the RGB channels same as a .tiff and .psd. I have always used Epson's traditional print module and never ran into this problem. Not sure what this would be different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if anyone else could help me out with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing I might have failed to mention is that when I look at some of these thumbnail images in the Windows file folder the images seem to not be complete. Either they are placeholder images or they only show a layer with a mask, but not the whole image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Tiff you attached above has a single background layer with RGB channels only - no alpha channels

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that. I guess my question is why is Photoshop, or my computer (Windows), not saving the whole file with all the alpha channels? In Photoshop, when I use Save a Copy the Alpha Channels box is clicked. If I use Save As there is no option for saving Alpha Channels. Whatever method of saving I use I get the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Attached here is my Channels panel. The channel below the RGB is an alpha channel, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines