• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Epson Printer P900 ICC Profiles Disappear after macOS updates

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has gone on for many years now, first with my Epson 3880 and now with my Epson P900.

Everytime there is a macOS update or revision, I lose all the Epson ICC profiles when I go to print.  All the other profiles I use (ie. Moab, Ilford, Hahnemühle) remain, but the Epson paper profiles are gone.  They are still somewhere in the operating files, but the access has been lost.

My recovery is the same as it has been for the past years.  I follow the Epson Guide for removing the Epson printers from my computer, then reinstalling the P900 drivers from scratch.  This is not a little task as I lose ALL the Epson printer drivers and have to reinstall them.  I have 2 Epson printers.

I keep hoping one of these updates, either from Adobe or from Apple will fix this problem.  Three years ago I spent over a month's duration working with Apple to try and discover the problem.  Apple concluded it was not an Apple problem, but I was never convinced.

I have attached a screen shot of what the ICC profile selection page looks like when printing from Photoshop.  There should be a whole list of the Epson Papers above the line, but there not shown.

I am so disappointed that I have to continue to use my brute force approach to fixing this problem every time I do an update.  However, it seems to be less time that it takes to go around in circles with Apple or Adobe only to get no solution.

If I ever get a complete solution, I'll post it here.

By the way, the Epson P900 printer is terrific.  I've added the roll printer attachment and that works well.

Wee Jacky.
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has gone on for many years now, first with my Epson 3880 and now with my Epson P900. Everytime there is a macOS update or revision, I lose all the Epson ICC profiles when I go to print.  

By @Jackve6a

To confirm: you are saying this is happening with updates to macOS and not with updates to Photoshop. Is that correct? You might ask on the Apple forums or call Apple if you have AppleCare.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the thought, but I’ve tried this and never got a resolution. There’s never a first line person who understands what is going on and the senior advisors I’ve worked with finally get to a point where they conclude that it is not an Apple problem. This has happened twice over the past few years. Prior to the versions of macOS Big Sur 11 that came out just after Monterey was released in October 2021, this was never a problem. When if first showed up I was using a late 2015 iMac and an Epson 3880 printer, the combination that I had for 4 years prior. In 2022 I bought the new Mac Studio then a new Epson P900—the problem remained.

I will have another try at getting Apple to help.

Jack
Wee Jacky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacky!

dealing wi same issue (ARRRGHHHH). Did Apple shed any light?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah, now I see: no joy from apple.

Any resolution to the original issue? I'm still in the thick of it....

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephene,

It continues.  Every time there is an Apple Update, all my Epson ICC profile access with Photoshop disappear.  Adobe updates don’t affect it and neither to Epson updates.  I’m pretty sure it’s an macOS problem.  The new macOS security quick updates don’t seem to effect it either, which makes sense to me.

As you know if you’ve read the whole story I’ve posted, I spent a significant effort working with Apple Engineering on this and they offered no solution.  They kept telling me I needed to approach the other vendors.  I had a couple of sessions with the Epson people and they were helpful.  As for Adobe, the problem there is the communication with the support people.  Either the language differences get in the way or they don’t have a clue how to fix it.  I could not get bumped up high enough in their technical group.

As it stands, I plan to have another go at them all, but I don’t want to take the time to do that at this point.  I will, once I can give it the time needed.  What I do is, after every update, I follow Epson’s guide.  This requires me to delete the Epson folder where all their info is held, the reload the drivers etc from the Epson site with care that I get the current operating system corrected properly.  That fixes it every time and I have the process down to about 5 minutes now.  Still, what a ridiculous situation!

Cheers,
Jacky
Wee Jacky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just reinstall the driver by Epson (NEVER) Apple, which will reinstall the Epson profiles. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think I mentioned that this is what I do every time Apple releases a new macOS update. I just don’t think I should have to do this if there was proper coordination between Apple, Adobe, and Epson.

Jack
Wee Jacky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think I mentioned that this is what I do every time Apple releases a new macOS update. I just don’t think I should have to do this if there was proper coordination between Apple, Adobe, and Epson.Jack
By @Jackve6a

I've NEVER had the profiles disappear on me from a multitude of Epson printers (and Mac OSs, versions of Photoshop etc). 

You can also thank Epson for storing the profiles in a really odd location (deep inside a package). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. There is a fix for this...have seen it with Canon printers too. 

For whatever reason Canon and Epson (and who knows who else)  do not install ICC profiles as one might expect, in several locations in the OS.  Instead, they leave them buried deep in their software install, with some sort of link to allow them to be seen/used by applications printing...like Photoshop, LightRoom Classic, etc.

Remedy:  Find the actual ICC profiles, and make copies of them, and put those copies where the software can use them.  That way the link (or whatever the heck it is) won't break with a random OS update.

Where does the Epson driver installer put the actual ICC profiles for the Epson P900?

1. Navigate here:  Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/EP2010HK2.profiles
    2. When you get to this item, you have to right-click on it and select Show Package Contents
    3. Keep going! /Contents/Resources/

Ta-da!  Look... actual ICC profiles!!

Now select all and copy them.  You could move them...but copying seems safer as the originals stay where Epson put them.

Next, navigate to where you would like to add the ICC profiles.  The safe spot would be:  /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/

Bonus Points:

Rather than scrolling through all the cruft you don't want in the application color profile menu, you can drop them in/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Recommended/

Doing this puts the ICC profiles at the top of the list.  Drop them into a folder to keep them neat and organized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add...here is what I see after dropping the copies of ICC profiles into the Recommended folder (see attached).

I also forgot to add:

After moving the profiles, one may have to update their permissions via the Get Info box to be sure all users can use them.   This might be part of why Epson and Canon don't put profiles where they belong.  Who knows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an older post, but I appreciated the suggestions to navigate to EP2010HK2.profiles/resource folder. I discovered that several of my Epson P900 paper options (the ones I currently need to fulfill orders, of course) were missing there. So I copied and pasted the needed icc profiles from the Colorsync folder. They now show in both locations, but Photoshop still doesn't show them as options and when I open the Colorsync utility, showing that they aren't listed as being in the Epson resource folder. (even though they ARE). I made sure permissions were okay. So frustrated, as I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything from Photoshop to the printer. I updated to Sonoma OS and am wondering if that's the problem. I am going to make a new post for this, but in case anyone on this thread has ideas as to how to make Colorsync acknowledge the new folder contents.... I'd be really grateful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another note from the person who started this conversation back in April 2023.  I know how frustrated you feel.....same here.  The whole problem continues for me.  If I need an Epson ICC profile I do the whole restore thing again.  I've done it so many times that I can do it quite fast.  However, I have another solution I'm working on and it seems effective......I've stopped buying Epson paper.  I never have a problem with the other manufacturers profile, because they go in the place as mentioned above and they always work.  The Epson media profiles never seem to be a problem, just the ICC profiles, thank goodness.  I know,  the Epson papers tend to be the least expensive, but for me they're not worth the hastle.  I guess, if was printing a high volume I might think different.

I have the roll attachment for my P900 and it works great.

You'll see that Epson haven't had their Sonoma installation download page ready yet and the Ventura downloads work fine.  I've haven't rechecked that recently and I must do that.

Regards,

Wee Jacky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jack, I am a new user with the Epson SC P900 and am unable to get back my ICC profile selection, even after deleting the printer, adding it back, making sure it isn't a bonjour connection and even tried to load softare called Epson Print Layout, within Photoshop. Nothing works so that I can print with "Photoshop manages colors", that will include my familiar long list of Epson papers... help! My Epson 3880, I just wore it out, but I sure do miss it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm another person that had problems with ICC profiles disappearing about a month ago after an update.  @Jackve6a suggested reinstalling the Ventura drivers from Epson's site. Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. I had to go back even further. I can't recall which version finally ended up 'fixing' it. (I use the word fixing lightly because the screen still appears differently and is more challenging to navigate but shows all papers and allows me to print properly.) So, if Ventura doesn't solve it, try working your way back: uninstalling the current driver and then installing previous versions and hopefully one will eventually do the trick. You may need to delete and re-add the printer again after each driver install. It's such a huge time-consuming pain and Epson customer service was zero help (worth a shot of course, but they literally suggested I try the things I already told them I'd tried). Good luck - the P900 does print beautifully!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jack here.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  Life's been hectic so far this New Year.

I'll do my best to show you what I do when I want to ensure that I have the Epson Paper ICC profiles available for my P900.  

First, I'll tell you that this problem showed up back when I had my 3880, but it was when Apple went from Cataline to Big Sur in November 2020.  Prior to that, I never had a problem.  When Monterey showed up I thought the problem was fixed.  It seemed to be, temporarily, but then it showed up again.  After several conversations with various Epson folk, I finally was supported by one who gave me this support document URL for Uninstalling and Reinstalling the printer driver.  It takes a bit of time, but so far it works every time.  You need to follow it to the letter.  Extra effort is required because it uninstalls the drivers for every Epson printer you have, all at the same time.  You then have to reinstall the drivers for each printer.  This is far more complex than the normal REMOVE and INSTALL that is the normal way for installing a new printer.  As I found I had to do this every time Apple did an update to the operating system, I decided to wean myself of Epson papers.  Now I mostly use Moab and Ilford papers.  Because all other paper vendors store their drivers in the normal ColorSync/Profiles folder, they work everytime.  As someone else pointed out in this Adobe Forum thread, why Epson and Canon have to do something different is something beyond my ability to explain.

So, on with a description of what I do when I want to restore the Epson drivers.

1. Go to this Epson page and print the PDF. https://epson.ca/support/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-your-mac-printer-driver 

2. Follow the instructions, to the letter.  (I have found it more dependable to do this with my P900 connected via USB rather than by AirPrint.  Don't connect the USB to the printer until told to do so in the instructions that appear on your computer screen.)

3. Get the printer driver from this URL.  Epson P900 Printer Driver (support page)   Now, at this point you need to be careful before you download anything.

3.1  Notice that you need to select your operating system.  As we all seem to have Sonoma now you'll select 14.X...Don't forget to click on GO.

3.2  Open up the DRIVERS and you'll see that there still is no DRIVER PRINTER COMBINATION PACKAGE!  When I finally got another good advisor from Epson on the phone, she told me they still didn't have that package developed for Sonoma, but that I could use the Ventura version (13.X) for now.  Remember, DON'T DOWNLOAD THE DRIVERS FROM THE SONOMA SUPPORT PAGE.  (see an image of this page in the attachments below)

3.3  Change the macOS version to 13.X which is Ventura, and click GO.  Now, when you open the Drivers, you'll see the Combo package for installing the printer drivers.  Download that.  (see an image of this page below in the attachments)

4. When you get the package opened you see that the instructions are very clear.

5. Remember, you'll also have to re-install any other Epson printer drivers for other Epson printers.

6. When you restart your Mac and ask Adobe to print using the computer rather than the printer colours, everything should work as you expect.

Although I use AirPrint for my office type printers (8.5" x 11" printers), I continue to use USB connection to my P900. 

Remember, when Apple issues a new update you'll probably lose the Epson ICC profiles again.  However, I have noticed, if it is just one of those Security Updates that install very quickly, that doesn't seem to remove the ICC profile for Epson papers.

If you run into troubles it might be because I haven't described this as well as I could have, so drop me a reply and I'll see what I can do.

Note that I've attached 2 screen shots of the P900 support page showing what it looks like.  One has the 14.x selected, but the one that has 13.x selected is what I use to get the proper driver.  I haven't done this for a couple of months as I've not been using Epson paper recently, so I hope this approach still work.  I will redo it sometime this week and if I run in to any glitches I'll let you know.

Wee Jacky

Wee Jacky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a real pain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Epson profiles are installed rather deeply in the system. Go to 

Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/EP2010HK1.profiles. Right click on EP2010HK1.profiles and select Show Package Contents. The profiles can then be seen in Contents/Resources. COPY these files somewhere safe do not move them.

When you next update the OS and loose your profiles COPY the versions you have safely stored to 

Macintosh HD/Library//ColorSync/Profiles. his is where you would add any 3rd party profiles downloaded from other manufacturers. 

There should be no need to remove and install the drivers anymore unless of course there is a driver update.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to this (am just having to refind my Eposn profilesafter another Apple upgrade) I had extreme difficulties with Apple after purchasing new iMac and trying to get my Epson  P600 to connect with it non wi fi.

I prefer to print using cables as where I work the wi fi is intermiitent and I lose connection midprint frequently thus wasting paper and ink.

Apple refused to say it was their issue and blamed Epson for not updateing their software for the ne iMac. Epson did their best but coldnt offer a resolution. I print viaEthernet but I still get disconnected from time to time. I agree that Apple Epson and Adobe need to communicate better. Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines