Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Escape Key and ACR

Explorer ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Select "Camera Raw Filter..." fron the Filter menu

2) Press the 'Escape' key (especially when by accident)

EXPECT: confirmation that you want to close the filter, discarding all of your changes (which could be extensive)

RESULT: the filter simply goes away, no confirmation (I looked in preferences and found none), no saving of changes anywhere (either to a sidecar file or in memory), nothing.

Can this really be true?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Hi

Yes, post to: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family where the product team will see it.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. 

What is your expectation based on? Do other Filters not also simply close when hitting esc? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Escape only to escape crop mode when you have Crop tool active. Otherwise try with Enter to confirm and exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how to leave ACR with my edits intact. I'm not looking for the
right way to do this (because I already know that).

My point is that it is poor design to allow a simple, accidental ESC key
press to discard your work unintended.

In most other applications I use, escaping (and discarding your work)
usually offers a confirmation, asking if you are sure that's what you
want to do. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

I tagged "Feature Request" when I posted this message. Please give
confirmation (with user configurable preferences to not give confirmation
if so desired).

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm posting this in the wrong place -- is there a better place for Adobe feedback and feature requests?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes, post to: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family where the product team will see it.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, 

What a beautifully written feature request you have here. Great idea, and thanks for looking out for the accidental keypresses.

Feature request threads are looked at by the engineering team when they pop up over on feedback.photoshop.com: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop

After searching on that platform, I was not able to find a similar request to yours for a confirmation dialog within the Camera Raw filter when pressing Escape. 

Would you be willing to create an Idea thread there with your request?

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete, your reply came in 26 seconds before mine — I would delete it if we could do that.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pete and Jane, I'll post there.

Cheers, Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Pete, i am not sure how to look for the ACR team attention so i reply to your comment here. the new ACR is so disappointing. so many features are missing.  heavy user like me, are getting a slow workflow and missing features that made our work so much faster and efficient. what can we do to consult with us???

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/new-acr-12-3-interface-is-terrible-with-many-hassles-1-of-i...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Pete, i am not sure how to look for the ACR team attention so i reply to your comment here. the new ACR is so disappointing. so many features are missing.  heavy user like me, are getting a slow workflow and missing features that made our work so much faster and efficient. what can we do to consult with us???

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/new-acr-12-3-interface-is-terrible-with-many-hassles-1-of-i...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I'm not looking for the right way to do this (because I already know that).«

But apparently you do not appreciate that the Camera Raw Filter is, as the name indicates, a Filter. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add some info here.  The escape button closes the RAW editor even when it's not being applied as a filter in Photoshop. Adobe Camera RAW is not just a filter.  Its how I edit RAW images.  My workflow mostly abandons Photoshop all together. Find Image in Bridge > Open image in ACR > EDIT > save.  I can't tell you how many times I've hit escape thinking I was just exiting the current tool I was using to find my self back in Bridge with nothing to show for it. I agree that the escape button should not just completely exit ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I agree that the escape button should not just completely exit ACR."

Escape is the built-in shortcut in both Windows and Mac to invoke the Cancel command button. It's not unique to Adobe Camera Raw. As stated earlier, this is a user forum, and as users we can't change either Adobe applications or the OS. All we can do is help if you have a question about how things work in Adobe applications or direct you to the proper channels.

jane-e_0-1589571616732.png

Here is the link again to tell Adobe. You might also put in a request to Apple and Microsoft.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane (and thanks again for the earlier links to provide this feedback to adobe).

Just to note: from a developer standpoint, it is well known that ESC invokes CANCEL. That point is really irrelevent, beccause the CANCEL event comes with a block of code. One can leave it empty (which one can assume the ACR code has done), or you can put in the confurmation code in ths block.

So it's not an Apple or Microsoft isssue -- they allow any and all applications to trap for all events of all controls. This is directly an Adobe issue. Thankfully, I believe the the dev community in the PhotoshopFamily feedback area probably know this.

Edit: hopefully, the Adobe dev community is also aware that ACR is not "just a filter", so Andrew's scenario should be concidered. I'll see if I can add that to the post I made over there. 2nd EDIT: I see Andrew has already added it. Jolly good.

Just FYI (as you say, nothing can be done about it in this community forum),

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"as you say, nothing can be done about it in this community forum"

Hi Chris,

There is one thing that can be done: if you would please post the link back here, then it will make it easier for folks to find it and add their vote and comments. 🙂

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea Jane,

The following link is this issue reported to the PhotoshopFamily community (where I guess it gets seen by Adobe development eyes):

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/feature-request-escape-key-and-acr-in-ps-conf...

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»hopefully, the Adobe dev community is also aware that ACR is not "just a filter"«

But in your original post you referred to the Camera Raw Filter specifically, not to Camera Raw. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c_pfaffenbichler

My mistake for not making that clear. It is my understanding that the Adobe Camera Raw utility is basically the same, whether it gets called from Photoshop, Bridge, or through the Lightroom Develop module; it just has different wrappers around it depending on where it's invoked from (for instance, the film-strip you see when you call it from Bridge does not appear when you call it from Photoshop's filter menu, but you can clearly see that it's the same core engine).

Additionally, I'm not sure why that would exempt it from protection of loss, regardless of it being called a 'filter' in Photoshop. One can spend a significant amount of time and effort working on the image in the filter, sometimes moreso than one would make outside of ACR using other Photoshop menu accessed tools, utilities, and filters. 

Indeed, the loss of a good deal of work is what led to me starting this thread. 

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your added input Jane.  Yes, escape is an OS function, then again so is the delete button, and the letter 't' button for that matter. The buttons react differently depending on the application that is in use. e.g. Right now in this Chrome web browser if I hit escape it does nothing. In PS, when you are typing into a text box and hit the escape button it backs you out of the text box. The text that you just typed remains intact. When you open ACR and make edits and accidentally hit escape the ACR editor closes and your work is lost.

Yes this is a user forum where users can discuss problems that we run into and get help from the community.  I think that is what's happening here.  Jane, you so rightly pointed us to the proper place to ask for a feature. Done. However this is not a request for OS developers, this is a request for Adobe.

Another reason why this thread is great is that I've actually figured out exactly why I'm hitting the escape button in ACR to begin with, when ACR opens your automatically given the zoom tool. I immediately hit escape to back out of that tool for some reason. Maybe some built-in muscle memory from another application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So they've now added a warning, but I accidently dismissed it and there is no way to reset the warning dialogues in the preferences (as exists for all other adobe software). Any ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is true (always has been) even using ACR proper (not as a Filter). ACR even tells you this but suggests one must use Shift:

ToolTip.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines