• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export as .... PNG (no transparent background)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2016 Jun 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

After the introduction of the artboards, I started use photoshop to create sets of icons (one icon per artboard) and then export it as PNG with transparent background. Few days ago I did the update of the Photoshop CC to the last version, and now with the same selection done, none of the icons are exported with transparent background, in all icons now I have a white background.

This is a bug? Or now it is needed change something more in a hidden place?

Thank you,

Ricardo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jun 26, 2016 Jun 26, 2016

Hi - this is indeed the result of a change in Artboard behavior. The ability to change artboard background color resulted in some changes to the way documents created in earlier versions now behave in Photoshop CC 2015.5. When you open a document created in the earlier version, the artboard contents are - at first going to open with a default White background.

To change that, simply go to the Artboard properties, by clicking on the Artboard in the Layers panel and then looking at the Properties p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a test and it works fine for me.  The background on the PNG appears a very light grey (almost a dirty white) but when I paste it onto another image, it is transparent.  I tested both with Export and Save As.  I have the latest PS-CC on a Mac.

Test your image with a C&P and post back with results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have not been able to reproduce your problem on a Windows machine, but just a few ideas

1) Are you setting up the artboard correctly? You can now set the background of artboards. Below is the old dialog

1.png

and below here is the new dialog from a preset. Notice you can now make the artboard transparent

2.png

When you use Export as does the preview show transparency like this?

3.png

To prove it works this is the exported PNG as seen in Photoshop

4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally if you cannot see the checkerboard pattern in Export As check the transparency checkbox is active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - this is indeed the result of a change in Artboard behavior. The ability to change artboard background color resulted in some changes to the way documents created in earlier versions now behave in Photoshop CC 2015.5. When you open a document created in the earlier version, the artboard contents are - at first going to open with a default White background.

To change that, simply go to the Artboard properties, by clicking on the Artboard in the Layers panel and then looking at the Properties panel. In Properties, change the background to Transparent. See attached screenshot.

Steve

Photoshop CCScreenSnapz015.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, thank you for all replies.
After post my question, I made some investigation and the "problem" is the change to the Artboard background property like SteveWeinrebe​ made reference.

On earlier versions, it was enough to set the PNG to transparency, now it seems I have to change the "Artboard background color".

Will be a pain, because I have some sets of icons with hundred of icons/artboards.

But now I know the solution.

Thank you all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much I love it when I tell someone what their problem is and they don't mark my answer as even helpful . If you want help in the future look elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it when posters beg for points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have 10 points and I have 4000 and you have been here 2.5 years longer than me so don't lecture when you don't contribute. You need points far more than me. The OP had ten minutes of my time was given the most comprehensive answer and took it for granted  and didn't acknowledge it which is poor etiquette and I will tell someone like that when they are wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't need points.  I spent a lot of time helping others on the Apple forum and I stumbled onto this forum several days ago.  If I can help, I do and I do it for the enjoyment of helping.  I neither look for nor care about points.  Of course, there are those that need to be stroked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally missed this new feature so far, so thank you to Terri and Steve for the heads up!

Will be a pain, because I have some sets of icons with hundred of icons/artboards

Kadonga: how about:

• Window > Layers
  • Layers panel menu > Collapse all groups
  • Layer panel > Filter=Artboards
  • Click the 1st artboard, shift click the last artboard
  • Window > Properties and change all the artboards at once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the unpleasantness I introduced into the thread Barb. I'm sometimes too fiery for my own good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You both had good info to share... and I thought I was up to speed on the upgrade!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, and my error for not referencing Terri's post in mine as well. Honestly you both probably know more about Artboards then I do .

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem Steve. As a matter of fact if I were the OP I would have marked your answer correct as it actually answered the issue directly providing a solution. My complaint was they didn't tick the 'like' box which on this forum is the way of saying thank you. It carries no points to do that but its the polite thing to do and takes less than a second. I guess I like manners even though that may be old fashioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am sorry, but I had no idea that the points are a so important thing.

I saw both replies from Terri and Steve, and the one from Steve it was the one that solved my problem, because I made reference to files already created and not to the creation of new files.

For new files I had no problem, because I noticed the change to the new dialog box by myself.

What I had no idea, it was about the properties box, that Steve made reference. So for me, the correct solution is the one from Steve.

Plus, in my post, I said:

"Hi guys, thank you for all replies."

If say thank you, is not polite enough... It is because seems that to be polite it is needed give points (or like you said tick "like" box). I will not forget it for next time then.

One more time.

Thank you all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ricardo,

I probably owe you an apology. I am in a very bad mood over something political at the moment and took it out on you and that was wrong. As I wrote to Steve I had no problem with his answer as it was more helpful than mine and so I understood your choice. Don't let my grumpiness put you off asking questions here as that would be terrible. I hope you are now able to get on with your work and if not come back and I promise to be nicer.

Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well there's your problem!   When will people learn to take emotions out of political discussions?! (Insert eye roll here)  Emotions inhibit open and honest discussion, as has been proven in this thread.  There is no reason to be so sensitive.  We still love you.

Kudos and many many thanks to Terri Stevens​ and SteveWeinrebe​ for taking the time to provide thorough answers!!   I keep forgetting that one has to specifically select the artboard's background now and both your answers gave me an immediate solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Seahawk, glad to have been of assistance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BarbBindaer,

Thank you for your suggestion, I followed all your steps, but didn't work (probably I am doing something wrong)

Thank you for the help,

Ricardo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked for me! I put all the layers inside a group and export this group to PNG (right click on the group > Quick export as PNG)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines