• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export Data Sets as Files - Name Files According to a column in my data?

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 6.13.42 PM.png

I'm wondering if there is a way to name my new files based off of the file names that are in one of the columns of my .txt document I imported for variables, specifically the "pixel replacement" value I defined when I set up my variables:

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 6.09.06 PM.png

Having 500 files that all begin with the same thing and are numbered isn't very helpful - it doesn't tell me what the content of them is (all my final newly exported files will be getting turned into JPGs and added to different product listings). Is there a way to change "Document Name" in the first screenshot above to be variable so it matches the name of the original file I imported into this PSD? I tried changing it to the name of my column, "file_name", but that didn't work. Ideas?

I'm open to other solutions that don't use variables either. Basically I'm trying to do a big batch of mockups for products, in which a linked AI file gets changed but everything else in the PSD stays the same. Ideally I'd prefer to export the new images as JPGs, not PSDs like exporting a data set requires.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

If I can understand your question then answer is no, you can not control exported file names through data sets to bypass file names used for pixel replacement variables. There is a hope for your project (with some dependencies). If your files to place in the template are always with the same dimensions (or at least same aspect ratio) then you can do something similar of what is done as a solution in this thread How to fit image in particular frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your CSV file needs to have to have a column containing paths and file name to be populated  into your PSD template layered document's variable named layer that matches the columns name.  I have never used Photoshop Data Driven Graphics features so I do not know how menu File>Export>Data Sets to Files...  That menu item is always grayed out when I edit my PSD Templates for they are not Data driven Graphics templates with Define Variable layers and  MY Templates do not need an associated CSV file.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Photoshop+Data+driver+graphics+tutorial&oq=Photoshop+Data+driver+gra...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can understand your question then answer is no, you can not control exported file names through data sets to bypass file names used for pixel replacement variables. There is a hope for your project (with some dependencies). If your files to place in the template are always with the same dimensions (or at least same aspect ratio) then you can do something similar of what is done as a solution in this thread How to fit image in particular frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You absolutely can control the name of the file by using the Data Set Name. I've been doing it for a while on my MacBook, but I'm in this thread looking for a reason why my method broke after moving to a fresh install on my new iMac. 

Here's how I do it. 

1. The first column in your sheet is what photoshop considers the "Data Set Name" so you need to have that first column match the exact filename output you are going for. However, you need to have that column pulled in by a variable into your document or Photoshop wont accept the dataset.

2. Create a text layer in your document called "hidden dataset name". Assign the first column as a text replacement for that variable. 

3. Tuck that layer in the bottom of your layer stack. Make sure it is completely hidden by a background layer sitting on top of it, regardless of the inputs. You could probably also just set the fill or opacity on the layer to 0% (never tried that but just thought of it). 

4. Now, when your data imports, the dataset name column is actually being fed into the document, it doesnt appear visibly in the PSD output (because it is hiding!), but on your export, the dataset name should take effect and you'll get unique names for each of your datapoints. 

Unfortunately, on my iMac, instead of reading the data set as the 1st column name, it seems to be assigning the generic "Data Set X" as the name for each data set. Very annoying. Must be a setting somewhere. 

But, I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaand I figured out my issue. When importing the new data set, i forgot to check the box for "Use first column as data set name"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issu, Thanks a lot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You literally just saved me hours of work!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new member here, and also new photoshop for a few day. I want to ask that how can you learn to use this, are there any good tutorial video on YouTube? Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Vy APK wrote:

I am new member here, and also new photoshop for a few day. I want to ask that how can you learn to use this, are there any good tutorial video on YouTube? Thanks in advance

The official Adobe help page is here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/creating-data-driven-graphics.html

There are many third party videos and other resources, just Google for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines