Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export GIF with Opacity

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to export a gif with like a 70% of opacity in the background, so that if i put it hover a video i can still see behind the gif.

Hope you can help me,

Continha

opecity.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You posted in the forum comments section, if you tell us which application you're using we can move it to the appropriate forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

sorry its my first time here, im using Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries I'll move it for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, gif is a very bad file format for doing that. You should use either PNG (24bits with transparency), TIFF or a Photoshop file.

GIF is a (very) old outdated format that should not be used anymore for still images as it has very severe limitations. It may still be used to produce small animations, but there also, you should avoid where ever possible.

What editing program are you using? I will move for now from Forum comments​ to Premiere Pro​.

If you take a full coloured rectangle like in your example, you can also apply the transparency with your editing program.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an animation with After Effects for a Twitch overlay, this animation has some opacity so that people can still see a little bit behind this overlay. I need now to convert it to GIF so that it loops all the time during the livestream. Is there any other format where I can do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Composite the background into the video and export it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't tell us all the important information...

What formats are possible with twitch or the program you use for the streaming? Is the background live or prerecorded? If it is prerecorded, you just need to add your animation. But I fear, your background is life... So either you fake it, giving the life impression or when that is not possible, you could explore the following:

• Check if APNG works -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APNG
  • Check if you can loop through image sequences (kind of loop.001.png loop.002.png ... loop.099.png). We did that years ago, it takes memory (as the whole loop needs to be loaded in the computer) but hey that is not that different as with GIF. Anyway, your system must be able to merge life data with your image data. Modern hardware should be able to do that in real time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently Animated GIF is a common format for Twitch overlay (my son can answer much better than me in this topic )

You cam simply import the video exported from After Effects into Photoshop and export it as animated GIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But gif can't do semi transparency. It's either transparent or not...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can set the opacity of your GIF in the streaming software i.e. OBS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, if that fits the needs of OP... It will be transparent as a whole than...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I gather, OBS has chroma key and alpha mask to control the opacity, so many things can be achieved I think - but this is out of scope of this forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but also out of scope of gif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

thanks everyone for your help!

I found that quicktime (.mov) format can keep alpha with a low file dimension instead of .avi that makes a 20 second file 3 - 5GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Continha332  wrote

I found that quicktime (.mov) (...)

Does it play on all of your machines...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi continha332:

No. GIF supports index transparency—it's either transparent or not. Export to  PNG with Transparency checked, which supports alpha transparency—varying amounts of transparency.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines