• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export RGB PNG image to CMYK JPG in Photoshop 2022

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a print product so my images, whether used to create graphics in Illustrator or place in InDesign, need to have CMYK color profiles. To accomplish this, my steps are to open the RGB PNG image in Photoshop, go to Image/Mode and select CMYK color. I cannot Save As the image because I want a JPG (not a JPG 2000) so I chose File/Export/Export As. I select JPG and leave the rest of the screen as default (Color Space/Convert to sRGB unchecked and Color Space/Embed Color Profile checked).

I hit Export.

The problem is that my new JPG has lost its CMYK color profile and reverted back to RGB, which I do not want.

How to I make the new CMYK color profile stick with the JPG?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any file format that does not support all current file properties, is now under Save A Copy. That's where you'll find jpeg. You can still save CMYK jpeg there.

Export is for web/screen/mobile devices, where CMYK makes no sense. So CMYK is not an option here.

Do you know which specific CMYK profile to use? You should always ask the printer about this. The Photoshop default, US Web Coated (SWOP), is likely not what they want. There is no generic "CMYK", only a series of profiles that correspond to specific print processes, using certain inks on certain paper stock, on a press calibrated to a certain standard. These standards vary in different regions around the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I would first "edit / convert to profile" then save a copy to get a CMYK JPEG. 

If you just switch modes to CMYK then you get a conversion to the default CMYK selected in Color Settings. 

Maybe its set to the default and that may not be right!

Ad D.Fosse wrote: you definitely need to be using the "correct" CMYK for the print condition in hand. 

Ask the people running the printing press.

More about that here

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem. I have to "Save a Copy..." in the Save As... dialogue box to retain the CMYK. Probably too late to be helpful, but maybe useful to someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is a preference that allows you to have the (dangerous) old scheme. 

(It is dangerous as you can think that you saved your file, but you might be losing layers, channels, paths, etc.)

Go to Photoshop(Mac)/Edit(Win)>Preferences>File Handling and check "Enable Legacy Save As"

Or CTRL(win)/CMD(Mac)+K; CTRL(win)/CMD(Mac)+6; and hit 8 times Tab; Spacebar to check; then 11 times Shift+Tab; Enter, if you really, really want to only use keyboard shortcuts. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I gave up and wrote an action in Illustrator that worked well, but I did go in and check that box in Photoshop too. I never output before backing up original files, so I won't lose anything. This will help when I don't have to do 50 at a time—I can do it right out of Photoshop a little quicker. Appreciate the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines