• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export to smaller file size has boudary?

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2024 Jun 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How to get the files size even smaller?

I have an image (3 MB) that I want in a smaller file size (150kB). But in PS the export as jpg quality setting makes the file output 350 kB. Also tried script/image processing / quality setting to 1, same result around 350 kB. 

There must be a way to compress even more? 

Also I want to do this in batch for a series of images, so if the solution could be able to, that would be great.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2024 Jun 29, 2024

Have you tried Export > Save for Web > Optimize to File Size?

optimize to file size.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe if your pic is 16bits/channels convert first to 8 bits/channel…

What is the pixels size of these images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

images are 1920-1080 24 bit. But I see no 8 bit option on the jpg export selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Export > Save for Web > Optimize to File Size?

optimize to file size.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2024 Jun 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, optimize for web, this is indeed a bit more compression. Works for what I need on one image. Thanks

Now only I need it to work in batch. I created a action for this save-type. But the smaller file-size does not work in batch, strangs.. solo it works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the smaller file-size does not work in batch, strangs.. solo it works great.

By @that35510420xudu

That's correct, actions can't record the optimize to target file size found in Save for Web (Legacy). The new Export As feature doesn't doesn't offer a target file size option and even if it did, Adobe has not made the feature available for action recording or scripting.

This leaves scripting via .JSX or .PSJS to save a file, check the file size against a target value and repeat and overwrite with a lower quality value until the target size is achieved.... If that is even possible, as image content plays a large part for JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three different scripts to automatically save JPEG to a target file size, which can be used in batch processing.

https://mindfulretouch.com/the-course/saving/saving-quality/

or

https://codebybrett.github.io/savesmalljpeg/

or

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to illustrate how much image content affects jpeg file sizes. These are both 1920 x 1080 pixels Save For Web at quality 60:

content.png

Flat areas compress much better than busy detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

images are 1920-1080 24 bit. But I see no 8 bit option on the jpg export selection.

By @that35510420xudu

RGB 24 bit (total) = R (8 bits per channel) + G (8 bits per channel) + B (8 bits per channel)

Photoshop’s Image > Mode menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines