Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported PNG size is different between identical PSD files

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

First time in years of using Photoshop, I feel like an absolute idiot because I don't know what is happening...

I made a rather simple social post advertising a product in 8bit RGB 1080x1080px at 300ppi and when I saved it as PNG, it weighed 7.47mb... I thought that maybe I used some kind of big smart objects, but couldn't find anything, and out of frustration, I deleted all the layers and saved a white color fill PNG, which still was a whopping 6.59mb...

Then I created a new file with the same settings of 8bit RGB 1080x1080px at 300ppi and dragged all the layers from the first file to this new one, and guess what... saved PNG was 0.9mb...

So my question is... WHAT I AM MISSING?

Here are Image Size settings of both files and as you can see, they are identical

2024-03-25 13-22-48.png2024-03-25 13-22-06.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Most likely DocumentAncestors metadata, a complete record of copy/pastes. With templates and files off the web it can accumulate to enormous sizes.

Export/Save for Web will strip metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely DocumentAncestors metadata, a complete record of copy/pastes. With templates and files off the web it can accumulate to enormous sizes.

Export/Save for Web will strip metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use this command in EXIFTool:

-XMP-photoshop:DocumentAncestors=

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How are you saving the file as PNG? Export As? Classic Save for Web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines