• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

External hard drive not appearing?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was checking my scratch disc in PS preferences & noticed that my external hard drive which I use as my primary scratch disc is NOT showing up in the scratch disc preference section. I use one empty external hard drive as my #1 selection for scratch disc. #2, & #3 are other  external hard drives. I opened up the empty hard drive  to be sure it didn't crash & it did open. My question is : Why does it not appear in the scratch disc section while the other drives do appear?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

If you are going to assign a external scratch drive in Photoshop Mac, it must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or it will not show up in the Photoshop Scratch drive list, even if it is showing up in the Finder or Desktop. If it's already MacOS Extended, run Disk Utility First Aid on it.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

One thing worth double checking is whether you can create a file on that partition. It might be that Photoshop hides read-only areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joel.  Are you using Mac or Windows?

[EDIT] I should have asked about Photoshop as well, in case you are using an old version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,     Sorry, I should have mentioned I am using a Mac. Also in the Scratch Discs portion of preferences there are only 3 disc listed. Two external drives & my system Mac drive.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Windows, you may need to assign it a drive letter in Disk Management:

assign+it+a+drive+letter+in+Disk+Management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob I had the same thought, but that does not work for me.  Seven of the drives that show in Disk Management are external.  They are all formatted NTFS Basic, but only seven are available for Photoshop Scratch.  There does not appear to be any clues in the Status column either.   Google suggests that file format is the key with OSX, but I don't know how current that information is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are going to assign a external scratch drive in Photoshop Mac, it must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or it will not show up in the Photoshop Scratch drive list, even if it is showing up in the Finder or Desktop. If it's already MacOS Extended, run Disk Utility First Aid on it.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gene,

Thank you very much, that worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue with my Transcend external disk.
As I was looking up how to format to Mac OS Extended, it looks like I need to erase the disc in the process.  Is there a way to format without erasing the data on the disc?

Jon 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, formatting always wipes a disk. Don’t forget you need a backup!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I tried the suggestion above but my external drive still does not show up in the list of scratch disks.
I created a new partition and made sure it is MacOS Extended (Journaled), ran disk utility first aid on it and I still only see my internal HD listed. See attached screenshots.
Any help is welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing worth double checking is whether you can create a file on that partition. It might be that Photoshop hides read-only areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked!
I opened PS, saved a file to the new partition and now the drive magically appears in teh list of scratch disks. 
Didn't change any read-only settings, so it seems a bit of a UI bug to me, but thanks a lot, this solved it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the same thing still no show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no disc utility?? on a mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a new Mac Studio and thought the suggestions here wouldn't help but just saving a file from within Photoshop the external drive did the trick! I thought it might be the brand of external drive or the APFS formatting, but apparantly not. Thanks so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving a file from PS to the scratch disk worked for me too. This had been a previously functioning scratch disk that suddenly PS didn't see. Thanks for the resolution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great, that magic worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

brilliant! saving a file to the samsung t7 drive suddenly made it appear as a scratch disc. Previously I formated it as mac extended.. blah blah or APFS and both did not work. Saving a file to it did!!!!

thanks for the tip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Mini 1 using USB 3 External HDD, partitioned to MAC OSx Ext. - saved a file and now recognised by PS.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me! thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I am using Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop on Windows 10.  My external hard drive does not appear in Scratch Disks. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop.  No change.  I need to store on the external hard drive ("E" drive) because scratch disks are full on the internal hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution? Please let me know asap if you did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was really hoping this "saving a file from PS to the drive in question" solution would work, but no dice, so far. 

Windows 10.  Photoshop CC, latest.  D:// drive.  NTFS.  Healthy. 

The only thing different from some of the above, that I have to report, is that mine is actually an *internal* drive, not external.  Not that that should matter, but thought I'd mention it. 

My external and main C:// drive show up properly in Scratch Disk list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines