• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extract SVG vector from PSD file

Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Is there a way to extract bits with svg information or svg vector from an psd file ?
I try some bits parse to get information about path, vectors but it's pretty pain to do. (Adobe Photoshop File Formats Specification November 2019)
I play with CEP panel and I wana add some buttons like `extract svg from layer`, can someone help me ?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Not sure what you need. Maybe this will help.

var layer = app.activeDocument.activeLayer;

var r = new ActionReference();
r.putProperty(stringIDToTypeID("property"), stringIDToTypeID("layerSVGdata"));
r.putIdentifier(stringIDToTypeID("layer"), layer.id);
var svg = executeActionGet(r).getString(stringIDToTypeID("layerSVGdata"));  

alert(svg);

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not support Vector File like .SVG and .AI Photoshop import the file as a single pixel raster layer. There are no vectors in Photoshop for them.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for answer, and you say it's impossible to select a layer and convert it to an svg.
I saw some plugins for photoshop like How can I export PSD vector shape layers as SVG? and with this plugin you have the option to select a layer and convert it in svg.

What they say in docs: 'Just double click on a single vector shape layer or select multiple layers with the SHIFT key and press EXPORT, set image format as SVG and press Export again.'

I think is there a way to do this trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be able to select some photoshop vector layers and export them as a svg file with vectors, If you select Raster layers that would be Raster image in a svg file.  A Raster image will not be converted to vectors, A normal raster image converted to vectors would most likely exceed Photoshop 8,000 layer limit.

There is a third party product SVG Layers that can import SVG Files into Photoshop as vector layers. Some SVG file features are not supported.  SVG files are readable text files. The Product uses Photoshop Scripting to read the SVG text and  create Shape layers.  Performance will not be that of a compiled program. Script execution is many time slower then code compiled into machine code.   Browsers and Photoshop just render a composite raster image using the SVG file text data.

I havs not tried to install the SVG extension into PS 2020  I did install it in CC 2019

image.png

I just installed the SVG Layers into PS 2020. It installed and seems to work as well as it can.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wana do something like this plugin to extract the svg from layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SVG Layers extension Supports most of SVG file format features and can export Layers as a SVG file and export a document as a SVG file.  However, all  Svg features are not support so the exported SVG files may lack some details and Imported SVG  file as a documents  using the SVG Laters extension may also have some missing content.

You can Place in SVG and AI file as vector smart object layers. However three are no vectors in Photoshop for the Placed files. Photoshop just uses vector graphics rendering the Pixels for the smart object layer during the import of the SVG file. Its more or less a pixels raster layer with an associated layer transform. If you edit the smart  object layers associated transform basically Photoshop will re-import the embedded SVG file that is in the smart object layer at the specified size.  Vector graphic are used importing a SVG file into a single raster Photoshop layer..

I interpreted your extract SVG form layer to export layer as a .SVG file.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I added scripting tags to your request. Not sure how to get the attention of other scripters without a dedicated sub-forum. You might try the exchange forum as well. you could also ask on the Adobe Photoshop Family forum if you need more access to the DOM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you need. Maybe this will help.

alert(svg);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks @r-bin it works 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export a photoshop layer to an svg file with script. I've found the script below on this forum but i'm not able to save it as an seperate .svg file. I don't know if it is possible because i can't find any documentation in the adobe scripting lib on how to do this. Maybe someone has found a way.

Can anyone help me with how to save an svg file from a layer with script in photoshop.

Thanks in advance!

alert(svg);​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a shape layer, not raster elements, and not a placed object? Photoshop doesn't convert raster or smart object to SVG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I understand that rasterised images or smart objects cannot be converted. But shapes and text can be copied as svg. So i basically would like do this with script and then store it as an .svg file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For saved files change 'png' to 'svg' in the code of correct solution:

How do I quickly export a layer as a png file in Photoshop with extendscript

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kukurykus,

Thank you for your reply. I tried to follow your instructions above. This is what i have so far but it is not working. I wonder if what i'm doing is correct. Can you confirm that the code i'm using should be working for me? 

Thanks

if (layer == undefined) { 
    layer = false;  
  }  
    var d = new ActionDescriptor();
    r.putEnumerated(stringIDToTypeID("layer"), stringIDToTypeID("ordinal"), stringIDToTypeID("targetEnum"));
    d.putReference(stringIDToTypeID("null"), r);
    d.putString(stringIDToTypeID("fileType"), "svg");
    d.putInteger(stringIDToTypeID("quality"), 32);
    d.putInteger(stringIDToTypeID("metadata"), 0);
    d.putString(stringIDToTypeID("destFolder"), path);
    d.putBoolean(stringIDToTypeID("sRGB"), true);
    d.putBoolean(stringIDToTypeID("openWindow"), false);
    executeAction(stringIDToTypeID(layer?"exportSelectionAsFileTypePressed":"exportDocumentAsFileTypePressed"), d, DialogModes.NO);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You correctly replaced 'png' to 'svg', but you did not copy entire code, so that can't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day!

Do not leasen all this advisors. I had the same problem and find out solution. From PS 22.5, August 2021, "Save as" to SVG do not suport, but you can roll back. Open Settings / Export / Options / put fly to check-box "Use Legasy "Export As"".

Now SVG must apear.

Good Luck. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You missed out the date of this thread, Nov 20, 2019, and the original poster marked corect solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue which is why I was looking up this thread. This worked perfectly! 
Now the SVG appears as an option. Thanks!

File -> Export -> Export Preferences -> checkmark the “use legacy export”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines