Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eyedropper values at cursor

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I do a lot of work preaparing images for print and I have to check the sum values all the time with the eyedropper. It takes a lot of time and I have too keep looking at the dropper and the value screen back and forth. Is there a way to get PS to show me these values right next to my mouse cursor?

pic for help in attachment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean »Total Ink«? 

I know no way to do that, but maybe the new UXP provides for such possibilities. 

Why are you working in CMYK?

For photographic images that would not seem recommendable in general but maybe you have some good reason for this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I mean "total ink". I'm working in CMYK because these photos are going in newspaper for print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not trying to badmouth something that works for you, but have you tried working in a profiled RGB and then converting a copy of the image to the appropriate CMYK Space? 

That way overshooting the allowed Total Ink would be impossible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe no worries, I'm here looking for anwsers so all advices are welcome. I'm relativly new to the company and this proces is the way they do their images, I'm just moving along :). Trying not to excede the total ink value of 200, max 220. We are working with a color profile that the printing company gave us, but I havent tried your method before. How should I setup the cmyk space then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just work in the profiled, layered RGB image and when the adjustments and touch-up are »done« save it, use Image > Duplicate with »Duplicate Merged …« checked and convert to the profile the printer provided (Edit > Convert to Profile). 

For the Intent »Relativ Colorimetric« will probably work out fine for many images, but with some dark images »Perceptual« may provide a better result. 

If volume is an issue you may want to automate the separation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not even need the eye dropper tool for that the Info panel does that for just about all tools except the crop tool. Show the cursor show x y positions in ruler units and the RGB and CMYK Values.

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for you reply, but is there a way to show the values in the INFO panel next to my cursor? I do not want to be looking all the time cursor - info panel - cursor - info panel - cursor -,....

or if that is not possible, an option would be a script or something, where I would define a "total ink" value and it would show me on the image where that is exceded. Similar as a camera shows you overexposed parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Script can not even fine out where the cursor is and it may also be in motion. The is not interface to get the cursor position or position the cursor.. You could ask for a new feature on Adob's feedback site. But because the Info panel basically does what you want but not by the cursor I do not think Adobe would add that feedback also to the eyedropper tool when the info panel does it for almost all tools.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines