• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files not opening on Photoshop after saving

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the latest version of Photoshop (2022) and after I did this, previous files that were saved as .psd were not opening on photopshop. I also tried the option "open with" but photoshop could not be found here even after looking under "more apps". I then uninstalled and reinstalled the software, but the problem still continued. Finally I created a new file on photopshop and saved it as a .psd file but when I tried to reopen the file on photoshop it did not happen. The photoshop files that are saved on my computer look like this (image attached below). The files are only opening if it has been saved on Creative Cloud. Please Help!! 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Leah Clarence 

Can you open the files when you first launch PS, then choose File > Open?

If you are trying to open the files by double-clicking in the Windows File Explorer, you need to change the file association in the OS. See this help file from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-programs-in-windows-10-e5d82cad-17d1-c53b...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Yes, the files are opening once I launch Photoshop and then open the artwork from File. I am still trying to figure out the default apps bit to open the app just by double clicking on the file. 

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Leah Clarence wrote:

I am still trying to figure out the default apps bit to open the app just by double clicking on the file. 

The steps are in the link from Microsoft (above), or you can follow Trevor's steps (below) 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows has lost file association with PSD files.  I don't remember having this happen before, but with 22 million users I am sure you are not the first.  I'm guessing that the Windows file association is tied to a specific file path, and that will have changed after the update.  Windows will be looking for a Photoshop 2021 folder  for the Photoshop.exe file, and if you chose to remove the old version when updating, that no longer exists.

image.png

It should be as simple as

Open File Explorer

finding any .psd file.

Right click and choose Open With

If it does not see Photoshop click on browse and navigate to the file path in my screen shot

Click on Always use

And choose Photoshop.exe

That should work, but if not, you might have to open Bridge 2022

open Preferences Ctrl K

Click on File Associations

and set .psd files to Photoshop 2022

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I tried everything that you mentioned, including changing the settings in Bridge 2022 (which already had the Adobe 2022 to open .psd files, but none of this has worked so far...

I am able to open the files now by launching Photoshop and clicking File < Open but still stuck with trying to open it by just double clicking on the file. Thanks for the help though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall and reinstall.

If you have more than one PS version installed, uninstall them all, in reverse version order. Last in, first out.

Then reinstall. If you want to keep more than one version, install in version order. Earliest version first, then newer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou so much! Your solution worked for me, I can finally open files by just double clicking 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines