• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Filter plugin user interface

New Here ,
May 12, 2008 May 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to write a filter plugin on the Mac, and I'm having a hell of a time getting any user interface up.

I initially started trying to modify the Dissove UI, like everybody does. After several hours trying to hack the .R file, I eventually decided that there had to be a better way than using all of this 1994 crap. I went looking for an alternative.

I did an Illustrator plugin recently that used ADM for its UI, and created all of its controls programmatically (to avoid having to use the shitty .R format that nobody supports any more), so I tried that approach here. Unfortunately, it appears that you can't use ADM in a filter plugin, because it doesn't get an SPPluginRef in its main entry point. Can this be true?

Is there a better way to do UI in a filter plugin on the Mac? It's pathetic that Adobe is stuck in the last century - not that I'm a big fan of Cocoa, but at least it's supported on current OS versions!

Thanks for any assistance or advice,
Aaron
TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
May 12, 2008 May 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just occurred to me that I might use HIView with a Carbon nib file. Has anybody tried this? Can anybody confirm that this will or will not work, or point out any pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks,
Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2008 May 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the problem with using Rez resources. Current versions of OS X include the resource compiler and decompiler.

See http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/ for dozens of plugin source code examples which build and run on OS X through Photoshop CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2008 May 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that, while the Rez format is supported by built-in tools, the resulting .rsrc file is not. For example, there's no way (that I know of) to visually edit dialog layouts other than buying the ridiculously-expensive and largely-obsolete Resourcerer.

Bottom line, the whole technology is obsolete. It locks you into using crappy old mostly-deprecated Apple APIs, requires bizarre workarounds like LDEFs, and doesn't allow you to access all the capabilities of OS X.

I've got a Carbon UI working now using a NIB file, and I'm much happier. No real problems making it work under Photoshop. Now, if I could just get this damn DataBrowser control to call my callbacks...

Thanks,
Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 17, 2008 May 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends a bit on the complexity of the UI, I think. For simple interfaces Rez can be just fine.

There is ResEdit as a free resource layout editor, but the claim that it's aging has some merit: I first used that program about 22 years ago. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2008 May 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
There should be a SPPluginRef in the FilterRecord. Look towards the bottom I think after version 5 maybe. I would not suggest using ADM as we are looking to remove it as it doesn't work well in the new world of 64 bit architectures. Although creating your dialog in a text based format is not nice it is nice when you start doing diffs and managing it in source control. I wish I had a better answer for you but...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines