• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Filter set like Xaos Tools/Paint Alchemy/Terrazo? [2011]

Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have need for some of the effects of Paint Alchemy and especially Terrazo. Does anyone know of an OSX filter set that does what those filters did? I know there was an OSX version available for a while, but now I can't find anything.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Craig

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember Terrazo correctly, something similar might be Imageskill's Tilebuilder for Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it is very close, i have used both a lot

Gary Hoover

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Xaos plugin I miss is Segmation. It was never developed beyond v 1.0, though. There is a Segmation company, which look like its based on the same technology, but it's a mass-market, "fun", paint-by-numbers game sort of thing. The original could even export the shapes it made to Illustrator.

I think the last version of Photoshop it ran under was v 7.0. Problem is, I can't install my copy of v 7.0 (an upgrade) until I find my original v 4.0 (full version) disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought I'd bump this discussion.

I wish the PS team or some developer would find a way to buy or build the Xaos Tools filter set, Terrazzo and Paint Alchemy.

I think the fact that this discussion has had over 6,000 views shows a level of interest that should be compelling.

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Craig and others: do check the deco fill scripts: http://www.adobe.com/technology/projects/DecoScriptedPatternsInPhotoshop.html and especially the deco fill script from Chuck Uebele, that provides many symmetry patterns, I think it'll fullfill some of your wishes.

But if you'd like the Photoshop team to purchase some filters to add them to the standard ones, like After Effects does in almost every release, suggest it in http://feedback.photoshop.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Xaos Paint Alchemy even more than Terazzo, with kpt, are just great and until now with through Win82017or X8 or Suite Home .1 my Windows install disks used to work fine often using them as Photopaint plugins; but updating to Win10 computer the install disks don't work any more. Coreldraw included Paint Alchemy in Photopaint until 2017 after which they are no longer included in plugins, couldn't get much information on any continuing availability from Corel. So Coreldraw Graphics Suite or Home and Student X8 or 2017 are the current way to get these running in Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

typing glitch, apparently posts can't be edited? Also am adding to this correction:

Xaos Paint Alchemy even more than Terazzo, with kpt, are just great and until now through Win8.1 my Windows install disks used to work fine; but updating to Win10 computer the install disks don't work any more. Coreldraw [Photo-Paint]  included Paint Alchemy as native plugin in Photopaint for some years until 2017 after which they are no longer included in plugins, and only Photopaints from X8 on install in Windows 10, so Coreldraw Graphics Suite or Home and Student X8 or 2017 are the only current way to get these running in Windows 10..... Kai's Power Tools lives on as a native plugin of Paintshop pro. But both Xaos and kpt are in 32bit versions host programs only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got photopaint x8 which contains alchemy, 64bit somehow . Unfortunately turns out Terazzo has been removed from photopaint since before their win10 versions , so Terazzo presently apparently simply cannot be run on a win10 computer [Xaos install files don't work win10]. Keeping a win8 laptop going just for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to plug a free a built-in way to generate interesting patterns: the "create from image" Capture app that is sadly difficult to find: In Photoshop, go to Windows>Libraries, click on the + icon at the botton and select create from image: 

https://jkost.com/blog/2020/03/3-2-1-photoshop-how-to-capture-patterns-shapes-colors-and-gradients-f...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Create from Image seems to have been removed in the latest version of photoshop 21.2.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create From Image has not been removed in Photoshop 21.2.4…it has merely been moved over slightly:

Photoshop-21.2.4-Create-from-Image.png

This feature was hard to find before, and this change is just different enough that every single tutorial up to this point trying to help people find it is now out of date, and will unintentionally lead people to the wrong place.

The key to finding Create from Image in Photoshop 21.2.4 is knowing that it was one of the items on that plus (+) button. It’s the same button as before, just grouped to the right instead of in the bottom left corner. That’s how I realized what happened: When the plus button was gone from the bottom left corner, I figured the other items on that menu were probably still around somewhere, and when I saw the + button I understood that the button was simply moved, and nothing had been taken away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you, i see it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I had one case where the create from image was not showing on the newly moved + icon, and coincidently, the cloud icon had a X on it; restarting Ps fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm from the future (2022) and I am happy/sad to say I can/can't still run Paint Alchemy. I'm actually running it on Windows 10 PSCS2 but can't seem to get it to install (even in compatibility mode) in Win 11 which sucks because if I want to use it I have to now fire up a different rig. BUT IT STILL WORKS 11 YEARS AFTER THIS THREAD!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the xaos install files and they won't install for me in Win10. How did you succeed with that please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a fairly old 32 bit version of photoshop to use the Xaos Tools filters.

What version(s) of photoshop do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx! but the actual xaos install files give error message they won't install. WoRk on win8 so files are  good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using an original CD and it works fine. If you have a CD I would use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully run it on CS4 but that's a hit or miss since they decomissioned the authentication servers. BUT, I did just successfully install it on Win 11 ! Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me a while but I used Win XP sp3 compatibility mode and installed it on my CS2 and CS4 versions> I will say that for some strange reason not all Win 10 installs worked this way. I have 7 machines and some didn't take it. I have it currently running on Win10 Pro on PSCS 2 but as I mentioned it just won't install on Win11. If Win10 won't install it you can create a VM (virtual machine) and run an older version of windows there. I've done that too and it works (but it's slow on older machines).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks foryour replies. Yes I have the original cd and have tried with that and also tried probably identical install files from an orpaned software site, and have tried with all possible compatibility modes on my Win10 desktp. It's been a while but as memory serves i received the windows message that the install is not compatible with my computer, same as when I tried to install my way outdated BorisFX from disk. Interesting that xaos does install on some Win10!

My own solution was to get photopaint x8 which contains alchemy, though not in a form that works in PS, and to keep an old laptop running old PS on Win8 where Alchemy does install.1. But Corel removed Terazzo from x8 which I'd like  on the Win10, wish I could run the install disks; maybe now that my Win10 has updated a year since my last try and I learn sometimes it installs, I should try again? later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly enough your issue may be related with the (frequent) updates for Win10 which may explain why some Win10's take the install and others do not. If you're desperate you can try rolling back updates but I would only suggest that on a "spare" machine and not one your working on. Actually if you havn't tried to install it recently I would try it again. Couldn't hurt anything.

So Photopaint X8 has Paint Alchemy and all the filters same as the OG? I have the X6 suite and wonder if it's included in that version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe all the Alchemy filters are ported, yes; the interface isn't quite as nice. Huh, I thought X6 was incomatible w Win10! Anyway I do think that was in the years they included Alchemy, don't know for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Retried in all compatability modes, asks install permission, then nothing installs. I get no error message for instance of windows blocking it - just - nothing. Oh well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I know how frustrating that is. Well, you can still try a VM and run 8.1. I'll try my X6 out on Win11 and see if I get lucky. BTW I just finished a Win11 build i5 12600k and strangely enough it runs PSCS4 where Win10 would not. Go figure. Maybe Windows 12 will install Alchemy (and playstation 6 will be backwards compatible ;../ ). If I find any workaround I'll revisit. Happ(ier) New Year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines