Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding value for colour when transparent

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If I have a colour of R148 G27 B29 and I want that colour but as 20% transparent, what value would I need?  Is there a similar calculation?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't really do that in PS like in AI in ID, but you can lower the opacity of your brush or layers.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'm actually working in Indesign, but I felt Photoshop may be more appropriate for colour issues.

To be clear, I know how to set transparency to a colour.  Maybe an image would help.  So, in the image shown, the red of the DRS logo is the brand colour.  For the background of the website, I would like an image coming through it, so need to set the transparency (to 80%).  However of course as you can see it changes the colour.

My question is, how do I find the value so I have the transparency but the colour is as per the brand colour of the logo?

Thanks!Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If, with the Foreground color set to R149 G27 B29, you brought up the Color Picker you would see its Lab equivalent values. A change in the L (Lightness) value (it is currently 33 in a range of 0 to 100), will reduce or increase lightness only, discrete from color.  Its RGB equivalent will be displayed as you alter the L value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

take the screenshot into PS and use the eyedropper? That's what I would do...

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think I am explaining myself very well (or perhaps misunderstanding your answer?)

The lighter red background in the image is the same red as the DRS logo, but it is set to 80% transparent.

Another screen shot below.  So, the DRS logo I am actually going to use is white. But I need the transparent background to be the red of DRS (while maintaining its transparency).  To do this I imagine I need to start with a darker red.  Hopefully the below explains!

Capture.JPG

Ta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can this by decreasing opacity percentage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I dont think so.

See the below.  I think im just not explaining myself very well, dont know if this helps!

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiply blend mode will do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks will try multiply blend and report back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines