• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Pixels option is greyed out for Line tool Photoshop 22.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm liking most of today's update for PShop, thanks Adobe. 

But, I went to use the Line Tool (part of the Shape Tools) and the option to draw with pixels is grayed out. I can draw lines with paths and as a shape, but no longer with pixels. The pixels option is available for all the other shapes (square, ellipse, the new triangle, polygon, custom shapes, etc.), so I don't know why it wouldn't work for lines. 

Does anyone know what happened? 

{Moderator Note: PS-57177}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

In Photoshop 22.3.0 this issue appears to be rectified. (But the Pen Tool seems to be afflicted with other issues …) 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Hi All,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 325 Replies 325
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing that blows my mind is it was effort to take away the pixel option for the line tool and make it needlessly worse.

As someone who does a fair bit of pixel-art, having no ability to quickly draw non anti-aliased lines is a genuine pain.

Can't say I'm optimistic about this ever changing judging by the age/length of this thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea and the complete lack of acknowledgement from Adobe - and the fact that this thread is marked as 'solved'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trick here is that once an Adobe moderator marks it as 'solved' they never need to look at it again.  They will mark it as solved even if the community doesn't agree, as is evident in this thread.

The best way to make someone in Adobe read your concerns is via the feedback tool, not the community – which is evidently designed to shut the community up and just complain to each other (think screaming in space)

https://feedback.photoshop.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved it...by installing Clip Studio Paint! The pen/ stroke method adds several steps to what was a simple drag and drop, and sadly with dire results (wobbly af lines). It just wasn't good enough for the pixel art I needed to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using it and love it. Maybe it was the brush you were using? I believe you can import PS brushes into Clip Studio. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, wow I can't believe I've been working in this industry so long and I never gave Clip Studio the time of day. That's what I get for being a generalist for so long, I guesse. I tried it out last week after reading this, and it's pretty exciting to find such a robust tool that's so much more focused on drawing and painting. I'm migrating my current job - a children's book - over to Clip Studio immediately. Nice work Adobe, you lost another one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I was the same. I should have tried CSP sooner! Anyway, glad I was able to help. It's so much easier for the illustrations I need to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love this suggestion for our pixel painters. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems because Photoshop now supports stroke on the shape mode of the line tool, that the developers have removed the old 'go to' method most people used to get a line. Though frustratingly the stroke tool is seemingly set to 'inside shape' by default, so anyone using the line tool will have to find the option to change this before they can successfully create a line. If this fix was made by default, a lot of the complaining would disappear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and that's a very amateurish development error.

1. It almost certainly means that the first time the developer was testing it, the tool didn't work but — having just made the change — he instantly knew to switch it to Outside, and then it worked.

2. Instead of taking the initiative to change it to default to Outside, he then showed it to the Scrum teammate that approves his item in the burndown chart, who responded "but it doesn't work" and he was like "oh, set the line tool to Outside", and the guy was like "oh, okay" and approved the item.

3. At the end of the sprint his manager tested it (one would hope), sent him an IM saying "it doesn't work", and he had to reply "set the stroke to Outside", and the manager said "oh, okay" and was satisfied.

4. At some future point the QA team was testing it, and needed that same explanation. They were told to set the tool to Outside, and for some insane reason they said "oh, okay" and accepted this disastrous quirk without question.

FOUR points of failure. 

FOUR development steps where any competent professional would have stopped and said "the end user won't know this" and taken some action.

A good development team does not take for granted that an explanation was necessary, because that means the user is going to need that explanation.

Either you:

1. Fix the damned tool to default to Outside (duh), or
2. Add a new development item to the board for next sprint, called "change line tool to default to Outside even for existing users", or
3. Set up some kind of tooltip/warning to explain to ALL users that they need to manually change it to Outside. And be 100% certain all users will be painfully aware of this exactly when they are first using the line tool. 

I am formatting all of the above steps with the assumption that Adobe is the kind of soulless bureaucracy who went from Waterfall development to the mindless, faux-agile bureaucracy of something like Scrum, ergo all the crap about adding items and having peoeple approve the mistake. Such a bad development environment does not encourage the creativity and initiative necessary for a developer to simply do things right, like with this line tool. He tends instead to do what he's told without question, his primary concern being to cover his ass. Same with the scrum teammates, manager, and QA. The bureaucrats in charge like this horrible environment of blind obedience, because it makes the blame game easier to play.

And that's how they ended up in the situation you describe.

Hmmm...

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

I don't know why I'd've expected Adobe to install a third party message board for their "community" that worked well. All I did was use the WYSIWYG tool to format the above message. I typed no HTML of my own. But it's so poorly made that it managed to break its own HTML insertion. I hope I'm not overlooking some subsequent change that makes my post harder to read. 

Oh, and now it won't let me save the post, even after it ostensibly removed the offending HTML it had inserted in the first place. The Post button simply does nothing, it doesn't even reiterate the warning.

I'm going to have to paste this into an editor that lets me see the underlying code, and fix it myself.

Okay, nth try at saving this, now with all formatting stripped out.

If this saves, it'll be another grand example of Adobe not even being able to handle a simple user-oriented graphics task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy! Adobe clearly don't understand how we use their products. Seeing how this issue still hasn't been adressed, in spite of numerous replies to this thread, is really bad. I've always considered Adobe as a company in touch with the users, but this issue made me doubt that notion. 

Fix the issue now, plz. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 22.3.0 this issue appears to be rectified. (But the Pen Tool seems to be afflicted with other issues …) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The line tool works again with the latest update (Thank you Adobe for fixing it).
@  c.pfaffenbichler >   The pen tool seems to work fine as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for fixing it! It works perfectly - as before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  It's 'almost' the same as the status quo from before (and the 25 years prior) (the preview is odd)

All I can say it that it's about time.  Assuming you guys work in agile I guess your sprints are 5 months in lenght 😞

sad/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dayzed007  I agree, there's something weird with the preview. Although, it's better than not having it, things should have been put things back the way they were.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now weight can be 0 and Arrow heads are no longer a percentage of weight for  any percentage of 0 is 0 you need to do the percent thing for each weight in your head and set the correct number of pixels for width and length. One problem with the new line tool is Adobe did not limit the weight to 100 like the old line tool. How do you like the 400 px weight line?

image.png

If you do not do the math in you head and set good values for Arrowheads they will mess your work up if they are not a 100%+ percentage of weight.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Not as good as the old line tool but its can be used. It is more a wacky stripping tool now.

Line weight should be limited like the days of old and arrowheads setting should be relative to line weight not a number of pixels so you don't have to set arrowmead setting every time you change line weight.  Like daye gone bye.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it's back. Thanks, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for listening to your users, Adobe, by restoring the pixel line tool. 

Let this be a lesson.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey 🙂 I found the '1 pixel black line' problem solution. simply click the Aling Edges and it will be only 1 pixel not 2 and  and it will be true black.

Capture.JPG

Capturex.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for asking this. The answer will go right into my how to draw a line in Photoshop tutorial [link removed] !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option to load 22.3 doesn't appear on my CC app, and I can't use the pixels option of the pen tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option to load 22.3 doesn't appear on my CC app, and I can't use the pixels option of the pen tool.

By @arggggggggggggggggggggggg

You replied to a thread that started in 2020. Adobe offers the current version (now 24) and the one previous. You might want to start a new thread and include screen shots so we can better assist.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines