• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Pixels option is greyed out for Line tool Photoshop 22.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm liking most of today's update for PShop, thanks Adobe. 

But, I went to use the Line Tool (part of the Shape Tools) and the option to draw with pixels is grayed out. I can draw lines with paths and as a shape, but no longer with pixels. The pixels option is available for all the other shapes (square, ellipse, the new triangle, polygon, custom shapes, etc.), so I don't know why it wouldn't work for lines. 

Does anyone know what happened? 

{Moderator Note: PS-57177}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

In Photoshop 22.3.0 this issue appears to be rectified. (But the Pen Tool seems to be afflicted with other issues …) 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Hi All,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 325 Replies 325
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sad, the line tool in pixel mode is part of my everyday workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same!  this change is EXTREMELY annoying.  Only option now is use hard brush, click, shift, click with mouse to get straight pixel lines as pen pressure won't do it.  A crappy work around but maybe Adobe will hear the outrage over messing with good working tool and put it back but I doubt it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is REALLY STUPID. 

I'm a professional for one of the major studios' animation departments, and having the pixel mode for drawing straight lines saved huge amounts of time when I needed a fast line to separate colors, to rough out perspectives, to box in shapes quickly, etc., etc., etc. 

This will now cost me HUGE amounts of time drawing first with the shape tool on its own layer, then having to rasterize that layer, then lay that layer down on my drawings! I can't believe you people would do something so foolish! And why DISABLE features? Why not give us the choice like you do with the other shapes? 

This makes virtually NO sense. Seriously. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the line drawing tool you could specify the pixel height, since the new update this is no longer possible. Only path and form are active, as soon as I go to another level no line can be seen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe removed that option stating that lines can be stroke with the stroke width option.  But I can not seem to get that to work Line shape are not stoked one the late Arrow heads set toe bar able to be stroked and filed the line path is not stroked.  Perhaps its a bug.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some fast image editing I did in the past in about 3 minutes, just right now took me about 20 minute to do, and still couldn't get it to fill the line path.  Why Adobe, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm gutted you've removed the option to draw pixelated lines as I use them all the time.

Most annoying for me is when using 'quick mask' mode to mask edges of windows etc in perspective views of buildings. Now when using line I generate a new shape layer and even rasterised it's a lot of effort to add or remove it from the mask.

I really hate this, please find a way to put it back as an option when drawing lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Line tool in Photoshop 2021 is garbage.  Shape layer are fill layers with vector layer mask  when there is no line weight there is nothing  reveal in the fill layer and so there are  no pixels that can be stroked and the line shape tool does not stroke the line path.  So all the line tool shape option can produce are arrowheads shape layers line shape layer can  be created.  The Line path would reveal no pixels in the fill layer for the line path has no weight.   Line need to have weight  like the had in previous Photoshop  versions.  I'm quite sure all actions that added line may have been broken and may not be fixable.  Adobe does not seem to consider compatibility important they keep braking Photoshop not being compatible with previous version of photoshop is a serious problem for users work-flows are broken user assets are no longer compatible with  Photoshop.  It is very important to keep old version of Photoshop.  Do not let Adobe installer remove working versions of Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out because  Previous version of Photoshop the line tool has weight the acrions recorded are  good in in 2021.  You just can not record action actions in 2021 to create line shape layers because the Line tool in 2021 in shape node cans not seem to create shape layers. with strokes

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally disrupts my work flows with Photoshop. I've rolled back to the 2020 version. I cannot understand who thought this was a good idea. Does Adobe talk to users still? The stroke option, described as the correct option by Sahil.Chawla has no effect for me if the path is not closed. Interesting that the support help section for shape tools is not even updated to describe the now broken function. It should not be marked as the Correct Answer. The correct answer would be something like, "Adobe realizes it have made a horrible mistake and will restore this feature in an update later this week. Please accept our most humble apology."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with this 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, #me too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the love button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GET RID OF THIS FEATURE. It's workflow disruptive and a terrible decision, why on earth would this help anyone? It adds extra steps to the simplest tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zero is hard to deal with in math. You can not divide by zero its an invalid operation and if you multiply be zero it navigates what you had you wind up with nothing  it deletes what you had. 

So a zero width path has no inside or outside for you have zero you have nothing there can be no inside or outside  or center.  The Reason the Line tool did nothing for me was Adobe installer migrated my Photoshop 2020 preferences  and my preference was set to stroke inside.   Adobe failed to realize a zero weight path has no inside center or outside.  Only the Paths can be stroked a setting stroke inside or outside would be invalid. Photoshop should have generated an error message. Instead Adobe bug bit my work.  If my setting was stroke centered or outside a stroke would have been laid down correctly or incorrectly.   Adobe 2021 Line tool has a problem. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of people who hate this change. It's nonsensical on so many levels, and incredibly disruptive.

I don't care what you have to do to revert it, this is a very basic feature that we users need!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe broke the line shape tool when they removed line weight. The Line Shape tool can only create arrowhead Shape layers. You have to use the rectangle shape tool to create line weight shape layers. Use both tool and merge the two shape layers to create shape layer with arrowheads you want. For if you Stroke the Arrow Shape Layers the arrow line stroke will be a 0x wide stroke line,  or a 1x wide stroke line or a 2x wide stroke line.  None of these will be the arrow shape layer you want. For only 0x wide line arrow layer arrowheads point to the correct location you do not an arrow shaft you have been shafted. 

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't you add new features but still keep the old ones? Stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a layout supervisor on an animated preschool show. My team and I use the pixel line tool constantly - as many have stated, its a tool that is a major part of animation background design workflow. To remove it for no valid reason, rather than leaving it as a legacy option is frankly, ridiculous and tone deaf to the users of your product! Please put out a fix for this ASAP, Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait... what?? So using the line tool in pixel mode is gone? That is absolutely ridiculous. I use that daily for all my work. Why on earth does Adobe think it's a good idea to only allow us to use path and shape?

The shape mode adds a new layer for every line you draw. Useless in my case. 

I can't wait to install the 20. version again. Photoshop has been straight up unusable every since then, and now it seems like they're putting actual effort into making it worse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! There are some great new AI tools in PS for painting, photo
manipulation, etc. BUT for those of us who use PS for art creation,
background and concept design, removing classic tools at random can REALLY
throw us off our game! I've been a faithful PS user since the mid 90s, and
that pixel line tool has ALWAYS been a simple, powerful go-to - and then
suddenly- POOF! It's gone. And- replaced by a tool which is NOT the same,
NOT as simple to use and NOT as powerful in the workflow. Again, I implore
Adobe to PLEASE consider bringing g it back. Thanks! --

Visit my Website!

[website link removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe broke the line shape tool when they removed line weight. The Line Shape tool can only create arrowhead Shape layers. You have to use the rectangle shape tool to create line weight shape layers. Use both tool and merge the two shape layers to create shape layer with arrowheads you want. For if you Stroke the Arrow Shape Layers the arrow line stroke will be a 0x wide stroke line,  or a 1x wide stroke line or a 2x wide stroke line.  None of these will be the arrow shape layer you want. For only 0x wide line arrow layer arrowheads point to the correct location you do not get an arrow shaft you have been shafted. 

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of absolutely gutted users. Why on earth did anyone think this was a good idea to disable a feature that's been there from the very start and had a valid reason to be there? If I wanted to focus on a vector driven workflow, I'd use illustrator. Photoshop was a blessing in that regard, now I need to fumble with your stroke / fill / width / path / shape extra  nonsense to not even get the results that I want, GREAT THINKING ADOBE GUYS ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what a mess you guys made. You can't draw inside the mask if you don't have the pixel option on the line.
And version 22 is locking and closing straight. I will have to revert to version 20 that was working.
Please review this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines