• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Pixels option is greyed out for Line tool Photoshop 22.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm liking most of today's update for PShop, thanks Adobe. 

But, I went to use the Line Tool (part of the Shape Tools) and the option to draw with pixels is grayed out. I can draw lines with paths and as a shape, but no longer with pixels. The pixels option is available for all the other shapes (square, ellipse, the new triangle, polygon, custom shapes, etc.), so I don't know why it wouldn't work for lines. 

Does anyone know what happened? 

{Moderator Note: PS-57177}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

In Photoshop 22.3.0 this issue appears to be rectified. (But the Pen Tool seems to be afflicted with other issues …) 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Hi All,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 325 Replies 325
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still Adobe has made the line tool more or less useless.  I in as past you were able to  pull out close line path that were 1 to 100px wide use it with the mask button to add a vector layer mask to a raster layer. Or use its selection  button tu convert the closed path to a selection, or use its Shape button to add a shape layer which is a solid fill or gradient fill or patten fill.   The only close paths the line tool can pull out are arrowhead shapes and you can even connect two with a line path.  Now I will admit that is new you can not do that with the pen tool what  good is it.  When the only shape layer you can make with this tool are arrowhead shape the line path  mask will not reveal any of the fill layer.  The line tool can not make line shape fill layers.  I can stroke the line path then clip a fill layer to that stroked shape layer. WOW

If we make noise perhaps adobe will hear.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do I now make a simple line that I can apply layer styles to? I can't figure it out. I can use Shape which I think I used previously but I do NOT want a stroke because I want to apply a gradient overlay. It's breaking my workflow and my clients are waiting for results...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I got it to work is to make a line in Shape form, with a stroke applied, then group it, then use my gradient overlay. It's the dumbest change I've seen in an update, ever. To make things worse I can't open directly from Lightroom into Photoshop 2020... fix this ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I am a professional graphic artist who freelances nationally, with clients in the entertainment industry and politics. I know how to use vector tools in both Photoshop and Illustrator. 

So when I say this is yet another mistake on Adobe's part, I'm not just some amateur who doesn't like to adapt and doesn't understand the sometimes-advantage of vector drawing. 

In fact, I use the line tool on shape instead of pixels about half the time.

But not only are there many times that pixels work better, but today I was trying to use it on vector, and the changes made it not only no longer intuitive, but not even heuristic; I couldn't quickly figure out the new way to do it.

I see this as part of an overall trend of less-intelligent bureaucrats running corporate committees making decisions that harm users, based on said committee's own arrogance and incompetence. They falsely imagine that they know better than the user, and should force the user to do things a certain way, against their will but for their own good.

Each time Android is updated, I lose features, to the point where I'm playing with self-installed Android on my older phone to see if I can just mod my own version open-source.

I recently stopped using Google Image Search because it's lost so many features...which are still available in Bing image search

Microsoft and Apple products are even worse about this. I've been using Linux since the nineties, but mainly for CLI server tasks...but recently I've started using it for GUI work as well, because of vanishing Windows features. 

Corporatism produces an unhealthy, political-class culture that does people more harm than good, and I think it's reaching a sort of snowball point.

The recent nonsense from Adobe are a prime example of this. There is a sort of collective insanity in trying to force users to do what some bureaucrat imagines to be best. "We have decided you're not smart enough to see this thing we errantly decided is false, so we've pulled it from your feed without your consent" is just the most obvious example of this mentality.

Which is always wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't seem to understand that when they change the functionality of long standing tools, very many people who use those tool on a daily basis are being messed with.  And the line tool in particular complaint is NOT about what the tool does now other than you can go into pixel mode, its about what problems it causes like even IF you get the line to draw correctly the way you want, you now HAVE to go over to the layer panel and rasterize the shapes into pixels if you want it to be pixels. 

I understand adobe want to keep improving its software but sometimes, things need to just be left alone. If you want a fancy new shape too, built one on top with a check box you turn it on with, not rewrite what was there and functioning well and has no complaints.  I hope Adobe understands the meaning of bloat ware.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a Photoshop morphs into a vector editing program Adobe is working on a raster based editing progam like Paint but will be able to edit images? 

The pixel based line tool was simple and elegant. No hoops to jump through, there's a line! 
Please restore this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. Nobody wanted the pixel option to go away. Good job. You added to photoshop what we already have in illustrator. I've been using the line tool to make straight lines FOR YEARS...i'm so pissed right now. Not only that, you made the new line tool clunky as hell. It's not intuitive. I swear you guys don't freaking talk to illustrators when you make these boneheaded decisions. You cater only to designers who only use shapes. THAT'S WHAT ILLUSTRATOR IS FOR! Let us actual illustrators have photoshop for hell sakes. Leave it alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. 

GO TO ILLUSTRATOR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do we automatically rasterize the stroke to make it pixels on mouse release?

This change would only make sense if there was a "auto rasterize" checkbox for the line/pen tools; Otherwise a commonly used feature has been removed for no good reason.

Rasterizing manually after stroking is not a practical solution. While adding the stroke functionality is fine, no one expects an update to their software to cut out functionality and increase their workload with abundant menial tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please revert this change. It was a functional and useful to have the ability to draw pixel lines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear you Adobe protProt,

I don't understand perché you have removed the lines like the Maradona nose from the piatto. Every time you made this type of changes my brain goes protProt.  D O N' T U N D E R S T A N D 

I'm a professional stickman illustrator and also AAA game industries fart director. My workflow has been seriously damged by these cazzo di changes. I can't draw anymore stickmen, I only can draw bibendum (Michelin mascotte prot>Prot).

SOLVE THIS PROBLEM PLZ ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not addressing Adobe here this is a user forum site use this link to give Adobe you feedback please. Adobe need to hear from you and address their development issues.  https://feedback.photoshop.com/

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Autodesk I didn't tought Corel Painter was made by u. 

XoXo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your URL is community.ADOBE.com

If posts here are not addressing Adobe, they shouldn't let their domain name be used for the site.

It's pretty absurd for you to constantly be having to disclaim the domain name that you belong to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If posts here are not addressing Adobe, they shouldn't let their domain name be used for the site."

We are volunteers who like to help folks with questions about how to use the software when we have a few minutes. The forum for the Photoshop developers is here: https://feedback.photoshop.com. If you want your message to go to Adobe developers, post it there.

I just read through all of your previous posts. You might want to sum some of it up for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make this go back to using pixels. Some of us never use vector shapes... because we are working in photoshop. To, you know, work on images with pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahahahahaha!

The irony is lost on them.

Pixels bad, Pixels BAAAD! 

(throws child in pond with the daisies)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we all understand that pixels have a different function than vector objects. If you need to work with vectors, use AI. Not all pixels are bad. There is a utility to them that is absolutely a necessity to certain workflows. I would really hate it if the anime industry took over the PS toolset. Invest in the time to learn the workflow from AI to PS. Photoshop doesn't need to be a "one shop stop" for all processes. For pete's sake! In trying to be everything to everyone PS lost functionality as a raster-based tool. Thanks a lot. Plus,  for the love of Pete, just learn how to work back and forth between AI and PS. Pixels not bad, but used differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop's vector tools are excellent, when one has the option to
integrate them into one's workflow. But yes, the ultimate PS output is
PIXEL based art. And the operative word here is: the OPTION. Why take the
choice away? Let me choose if I want to make a vector line if my work calls
for it, but PLEASE allow me the option to make simple pixel based lines
when I choose - like it was before.

--

Visit my Website!

[website link removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that since PS is essential a raster-based program, and most of us use AI for vector-based workflow, I find the move to eliminate Line as pixels a poor decision on Adobe's part. I use a lot of vector graphics, but when I want to pixels, I go to PS. Ridiculous idea to take that out of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly frustrating, why the people in th PS team would disable such feature is far beyond my comprehension , i hope this gets brought back as soon as possible, meanwhile i'll go back to the 2020 version hoping the bugs that version had (many) will make it still somewhat usable. really looking for an alternative to PS lately, each and every updates makes the software worst than the previous while adding stuff that nobody cares or are years beyond their competitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not addressing Adobe here this is a user form we are users like you we do not represent Adobe or work for Adobe. We try to help Adobe users deals with Photoshop releases. All Photoshop versions have problems.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil.Chawla is an adobe emplyee, at least that's what his profile says, and i was answering to him, i'm sorry it it looked otherwise.
however, i did not adressed adobe directly in my post anyway.
I just talking about how the company seems to completely ignore the needs of its userbase and the case uses of the tools, this is not the first time it happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just thought I'd point out yet another way this arrogant, clueless change harms people:

It means you can't use the line tool for a layer mask.

Something I had cause to do, today.

But could not, thanks to this dunderheaded corporate nitwittery.

Imagine having such tiny minds that the long list of must-be-pixel scenarios presented here didn't occur to them when they were making this decision in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry Adobe, but this is so tone deaf to an entire industry who rely on photoshop for fast raster painting, inking, design etc.  Our studio currently relies on the pixel line tool for fast laying down of straight lines at any angle with the option of shortcuts to modify the thickness as we go, there is no substitute for this kind of efficient line work with your listed work arounds.  Why remove such a used feature??  Why make me take 2 or 3 steps to do something that would be a single click and release in a previous version?!?  Please explain the thinking behind removing such a valuable tool.  here Adobe responded to my Art Director with their typical tone deaf arrogant response:  https://twitter.com/R_Dart/status/1319351468604805120

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines