• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flipping the Canvas on the Workspace's Axis?

Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've come to ask about a certain behavior of flipping the canvas/image (non-destructively). I already understand that one can hook up a shortcut for the command, navigate to the command to begin with, and flip individual/selected layers accordingly within the Transform options. The behavior is better noticed when attempting to work closely on a specific region of the picture that is not the center of the entire canvas/image itself. It becomes pretty slowing for anyone needing to work up close, and in focus of a specific object.

1.png

This is the example template, PrtScrn'd.

The workspace takes up the entire screen, and thus the center is 'true'. When I flip the canvas/image with the command of Image>Image Rotation>Flip Canvas Horizontal, this should happen, which is expected. Vertical would produce the same result on its respective axis.

2.png

This seems to be completely fine for work from afar. However, if we retract back to the first image, and give the scenario that I'm working on an object, face, or general region of the image that is [somewhere shy left of] Circle #4, this will happen if I were to use the same command:

3.png4.png

The only 'solution' is to scrub to the opposite side in order to continue working on the same object with the new perspective. The act of flipping the canvas/image for getting new perspectives on a subject or even getting brush strokes down comfortably is a tried and true technique, but this will soon become a trouble if your image is needed to be large in dimension and that you must spend the extra steps to zoom out and relocate to zoom in, or repetitively scrub your way back to the subject.

I was wondering if there can, or even is, a preference setting or new command of non-destructively flipping the canvas/image so that it is more like these two images in sequence of each other:

3.png5.png

This is the certain behavior I was wondering about.

I was also hoping for it to also work with an off-skew, rotated canvas, as it currently still mirrors the image on its own axis and orientation, preserving your degree of rotation rather than mirroring that value as well -- like a Smart Object when it remembers its own tilt. On top of all this, still being able to function with custom-sized and placed workspace windows.

Thanks for reading.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: You know about the Rotate View Tool (and that it can be spring-loaded)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and the extent of my knowledge for that tool is essentially a read-off from the blog: Julieanne Kost's Blog | Rotate View and Spring Loaded Cursors in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That I do not, and it does the specific flipping behavior.

For all this time, looking around with a search bar usually yielded information about Image > Image Rotation > Flip Canvas Horizontal/Vertical, and I felt locked into that scope as much as overfed with that ballpark of researched answers. Thanks.

Edit: I was in a rush at the sight, terribly sorry, but it only does one part of the specific behavior desired, that is preserving the rotation's angle. This is the same for Image > Image Rotation > Flip Canvas Horizontal/Vertical. The workspace's view still travels to the other side of the image, which is what I don't want happening. The behavior desired is when the canvas/image flips about the workspace's center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then you may want to add your vote to the Feature Request and add a post to explain how you want the Feature to actually work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines