Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Focus stacking with Photoshop

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I have just tested the focus stacking function on my Nikon D850 in the rules of the art: fixed subject, full aperture macro lens, camera on tripod. 10 frames of 45Mpx each.
I followed Photoshop's processing procedure and stopped it after 10 hours when the working time indicator was at a quarter of the process, i.e. a total predictable time of 40 hours! I then did the same processing with Helicon software which completed the job in ten seconds!
Look for the error!

Please help, thank you

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something's wrong here. Photoshop will do this in seconds too. 10 x 45 MP is nothing out of the ordinary.

One thing that can throw this process off, is if you have "content-aware fill empty areas" checked. Make sure this is unchecked.

All that said, PS focus stacking has its shortcomings, and it may well be that Helicon Focus does a better job. Or Zerene Stacker. They are both specialized software for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, but I didn’t find ‘content-aware fill empty areas’ on my last up to date PS (2021 - 22.5.0), and I buy a Helicon Focus license.

Best regards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stack.png

One more thing: make sure alignment is good between all frames. It can sometimes need a couple of pixels nudging. Check at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, fellow french-speaking Dan Simmons reader 😉

Could you share some informations about your setup? Please check on Help>System info...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci à vous deux. En effet, comme c'est la première fois que j'utilise cette nouvelle fonction, je m'y perds un peu...

PECourtejoie (Canadien, je suppose ?), que voulez-vous savoir ?

Bien cordialement,

André

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Belgian 😉 you can paste everything from that menu in here, so that all relevant info can be found...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I communicate from Switzerland. Here are the 3 steps I completed, the last screenshot shows the beginning of the PS treatment that I stopped because it took too long.
I work with a Mac Pro end of 2013, 32 GB RAM, 10.14.6, 480 GB SSD for system and applications, PS 2021/22.5.0. Nikon D850, Sigma 105mm macro stabilized lens.Capture d’écran 2021-08-25 à 16.12.46.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-08-25 à 16.13.56.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-08-25 à 16.14.33.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to check that if the layer is unlocked or not Also, check if there is any transparent pixel they will be turned into white automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. For me the problem is still not solved and as a result I now use Helicon Focus...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look at these 2 films explaining my choice...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines