• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

For months now your UI is tragically slow. It causes me mental pain to use Photoshop.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix your pathetic UI. 

Version: All versions the last many months. If not years. Sometimes it gets worse, sometimes it is less, but the lag is always there. No matter what machine. At the office or at home.

System: ASUS ROG, i7, 32GB RAM, RTX 2070 GPU, Seagate FireCuda 520 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD

Platform: (Your typical trap question to deflect blame) Windows 11 Pro, Windows 10 Pro.  

Reproduction:
No special way to reproduce it. Just use the UI of Photoshop. i.e. select any tool , or press Ctrl+T for transform, or type a new value in a text field, or anything really.  

Expected result:
Clicking on a button should not take seconds to activate. Like Photoshop used to be even when we had massive DTP files of many GB loaded. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Solerion

This is unusual behaviour.

For a start have you tried resetting the Photoshop preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have tried every possible thing mentioned in these communities for more than a year now. 

The sluggishness started a few years after Photoshop started being marked as "CC". Or perhaps, sometime around 2016. But it was never as bad as it is today. So it is not an isolated thing, and it is not just on a single machine configuration or machines that are weak for such use. It can't be that all the machines I owned or worked on for the last 2-3 years are so bad that the Photoshop UI lags well over a second. (Especially since I am running far more complex software with really heavy 3D and complex real time interaction scripts going on and the machine performs without a hitch. )

It can't be that 3dsmax, Substance, Unity , Unreal, Revit, complex and heavy simulation tools, etc, run flawlessly and Photoshop needs more powerful machine than that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm not experiencing any slowness in Photoshop version 23.3.1 on Windows 10

System specs

i9 11th gen intel CPU, 64 GB of RAM, RTX2060 Super with a fast SSD

Photoshop runs quite smoothly, no issues accessing any tools, menus, blend modes etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar problems.  Windows 10 Pro, 64GB RAM, RTX 4000.  My scratch disks have .5T and 1.5T free space respectively.  When PS works, it works well and fast.  When it doesn't, which can be an awful lot of the time, there's no way to get any meaningful work done.  The program is updated regularly by Creative Cloud, I just now reset Preferences, and she still behaves the same way.  Tomorrow it might work fine.  There's no predicting what it's going to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any third-party apps installed, for example a font manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several actually.  But here's an update to my situation as of this morning:  I don't know if I just got lucky or what but after trying many different recommendations and adjusting settings here there and everywhere, I came across the suggestion to Disable Font Preview.  Did that, and my Photoshop seems to be happy and running normally again.  I dunno if that will last but it's good for right now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vicki degruy

Hi Vicki.  You mention Windows 10 and Windows 11. Is this two different systems or dul booting on the same PC?

Is Font Preview a third party plugin, or part of Windows or what?  A trick to eliminate third party plugins is to start Photosho while holding down the Shift key, which forces Photoshop to start without loading any installed plugins.  Unfortunately, there is no way, that I know about, to tie it down to a particular plugin without uninstalling and loading them one at a time.

What clock speed does your particular i7 CPU run at?  Clock speed is everytyhing with Photoshop, and lots of cores and threads less so.  If you think your system is working OK now, then this is probably not relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also having the same problem on different machines.
That is how I know the problem is Photoshop and not my machine or OS. 

And since I am an experienced producer, I know how defensive teams can get... to the detriment of the quality of the software. They will nit-pick anything and bring up any potential uncertainty to deflect responsibility of their software. 

"Oh you have this build? We only tested it on the other build."
"Are you using this 3rd party? It is their fault. What if it is core to your workflows? We do not like it. We only test in isolation and not real work environments." 
"Reinstall Windows." (this is possibly the worst deflection advice many companies tend to provide...  )

Adobe does that a lot. 

Yes there are differences between one build and the other, and yeah there are driver differences between one version and the other, but rarely it is the case that this difference had so much impact to the performance or behaviour of something. Even when entirely new version of OS are installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines