Exit

Generate or remove objects using AI : 🔎 Photoshop Quick Tip

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2QUICK TIPS format header.jpg

How to use Generative Fill in Photoshop

Did you know you can remove distractions from your photos quickly, try a new background, or add something just for fun? You can even remove unwanted objects and fill in the space. 
It’s really easy using Generative Fill.  I have to warn you, it can be quite addicting! Generative Fill is an amazing new suite of AI-powered capabilities powered by Adobe Firefly that enable you to use simple text prompts to add, extend, or remove content non-destructively. It will blow your mind how Photoshop can match the colors, perspective, and shadows.

Generative Fill is also available in Photoshop for web and Photoshop on the iPad.

Photoshop on the iPad: How to use Generative Fill

Photoshop on the web: How to use Generative Fill

How to use Generative Fill in Photoshop

Create or open an image in Photoshop

❷ Make a selection

❸ Generate new content

• Click on the Generative Fill button in the Contextual Task Bar that appears.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 7.56.30 PM.png 

• When the text prompt box appears, use nouns, adjectives, and adverbs to describe what you want to see generated within your selection.  If you are feeling adventurous, leave it blank and see what Photoshop comes up with based on what it sees in the rest of the image.

describe.jpg    

• Click Generate. Photoshop will create a new layer with the generated content. Scroll through several generated options by clicking on < and >. If you want to try again, type a new prompt and click Generate.   

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 8.12.26 PM.png

Generate a new background

• Choose Select > Subject
  • Choose Select > Inverse
  • Click on the Generative Fill button
  • Type a short description of the scene you want Photoshop to generate, or leave it blank for a surprise
  • Click Generate

orange compare.jpg

Remove an object

• Choose the lasso tool, rectangle tool, or any other selection tool to make a loose selection around the object you want to remove (include any shadow or reflection)
  • Click on the Generative Fill button without entering any text
  • Click Generate

wedding.jpg

Generate a new object

• Use any selection tool to select the area in the image where you want the object to appear
  • Click on the Generative Fill button
  • Type a short description of the object you want Photoshop to generate
  • Click Generate - For this image, I selected the shirt area and used the prompt 'black jacket'

black shirt2.jpg

Helpful Tips

• Use simple language
    Try using 3-8 words to describe what you want to see.
    Include a subject with descriptive language.
    Avoid commands like “add” or “remove”.
    Good prompt: A red barn in a field of yellow flowers.
  • Use layers and edit non-destructively
    When you click Generate, the result appears on a new Generative Layer.

Try generating several images and combining them into a composition.

• Select part of the original image when extending
    Make sure you select part of the image along with the empty part of the canvas. This will give a better result that will blend in with the rest of your image.

Related links

TOPICS
iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is redefining how we design, make art and teach new talent, @Pattie-F . Step aside 4IR. Very useful resource. Thnx

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips! It's great to see this out of beta ahead of schedule.

Matt Kloskowski also has a helpful free resource with tips & tricks on how to best use Generative Fill:

https://mattk.com/adobe-learning-center/

Look for the red "Download Free eBook" button near the top. He also has some videos and (paid) courses offered on that page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, I know this is Matt's book, but I very much doubt I'd have found it without your site sharing it.  I didn't realize that we could delete unwanted Generative Fill results, although I think's only useful as a space saver.  Tip #9 sounds interesting, and there was an added bonus in that tip about using an artist's name.  I haven't tried it yet, but I can't wait to see how a Daliesque style will look when applied to one of Dave's SFTW starters.  Lots of great content, so thanks again for making the book available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bet, Trevor – I was glad to have discovered it! Lots of great tips in there and I learned something new too... Maybe Matt will even expand it further as we learn more on how to get the best results from the GenAI technology. Already, it's pretty amazing. Thanks for your kind words!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the red "Download eBook" button near the top.... maybe he removed it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it moved and found the red button here:  https://mattk.com/adobe-learning-center/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, looks like it was moved, and you found it. Thanks for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Picture of Yoda from Midjourney, right part complete with AI Photoshop, prompt "futuristic village with aliens". 😉 Text doesn't work yet 😞0_0 (2).jpg

Yoda.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines