• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get Rid of Separate Save a Copy, Save As Implies a Copy

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never understood why "Save a Copy" ever had to be separate.  In what world would I ever want my JPG save to overwrite my PSD?  Also, if I've selected to "Save As" doesn't that imply that I want to save my file AS a different file type or name?  Wouldn't this, by definition, a copy?  This individual option as NEVER made sense to me, and it's so much more infurating that it is now a dedicated save option that I HAVE to select if I want to export as any kind of compressed format like JPG or PNG.  Absolutely ridiculous.  My muscle memory for ctrl+shift+s is completely worthless now for 99% percent of my saving.

Apparently there's an option to enable the legacy save as...cool...fine...but these really should NEVER have been separate options.  If I'm "Saving As" I'm already making a copy...the copy is implied...

I get the feeling there's one old engineer who is dying on this sword, or it's some old legacy code that Adobe engineers can't get rid of.  Either someone is holding onto the past, or they the developers are unable to moove on...it's ridiculous...no other creative app handles files saving in this manner.  By trying to make it more intuitive, you made it clunkier.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never understood why "Save a Copy" ever had to be separate.

Save A Copy: saves the document under a new name, but the original stays open for editing, not the new one. 

Save As: You save the document under a new name, and the new file stays open for editing.

See if this discussion from the Premiere Pro forums adds any light

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-when-to-use-quot-save-a-copy-quot-or-quo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, totally fair, and I'll admit I've used it as such, but for over a decade photoshop has defaulted to saving compressed formats "As A Copy."  If I'm saving as a JPG, why would I want to continue to work on the compressed file?  It really just doesn't make any sense to remove it as an option from the "Save As" context menu.

I've never checked "Save a Copy" when Saving As a PSD, nor have I ever unchecked "Save a Copy" when saving to a compressed format.

I repeat, no other creative software handles file saving in this manner.  That's not even to mention "Export As."  Sure, other creative software will handlle ALL compressed/rendered output as an export, so then why are a multitude of formats listed under Save As and Save a Copy if I also have Export?

All I'm saying is it's totally unintutive.  I know they all have their use cases, but I feel like they were trying to make it easier to use/understand by making Save a Copy separate, but it's just made an already bloated save/export system worse.

I can only imagine there's some weird outdated print workflow that requires these features to still exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but no thanks.  I saw the thread.  I understand what's going on.  I understand I can revert to legacy.  I'm telling YOU, the Adobe employees, that it's a bad change.  It was one step forward, two steps back.  You have more work to do.

Thank you for keeping it as a legacy option, but in the future, when you change a feature that is so fundamental to EVERYONE'S workflows, you need to explain it better.  You need to make it clear how to revert to the old way of doing things if people so choose.  All of my co-workers were banging their heads against the wall after the change...everytime we needed to save as a JPG it was like we had to go through a tiny battle "Ctrl+Shift+S, wait...where the hell is JPG?  Oh right, Adobe moved it...why the hell would they move it?  Why do I have to learn a new key command? UGH!"  Then tonight, I was just so fed up I went looking, and then found that you can revert to the legacy option.  I was so furious that it wasn't obvious I could change back that I decided to start this thread.

So, thanks...but no thanks.  You have more work to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware that this change has history which began with changes made by Apple in Big Sur?

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

Adobe then came up with the altered Save As solution in 22.4. After howls of protest - where many thought it was change (for the worse) for the sake of change - they then introduced Legacy Save As in 22.4.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's such a cop out answer. "We can't append copy to the end of the
file name, so we completely changed how file saving works."

Oh give me a break. You know how you prevent accidental file overwriting?
With a dialog prompt "Warning, you are about to overwrite an existing file.
Are you sure?" Boom, done. Again, this is how every other creative
application works. Also, in no other creative application do I have to
remove "copy" from the end of a file export name. It's just dumb. That
article makes it sound like they REALLY think the user is dumb...yes...the
user usually is dumb...but this is software development condescension...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree with everything you've said in this thread. Dumb move, makes like more difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

life*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Therre was a HUGE kerfuffle about this last year. You are way late as that ship has sailed, come back into port, and sailed again. The final compromise feature seems to work for everyone else ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No need then to keep this topic alive then. Locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines