• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting rid of grays in the background

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to replace the gray areas with white (above the diagonal, including the areas between leaves and branches). Is there an efficent way of doing this, maybe using blend modes? The branches and leaves should stay untouched. I'm using Photoshop 25.1 on Windows.

Thanks,
Matt

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matt33432151x6sl a real quick/rough demo but you can select your areas in various methods (color range, selection tools, etc) . I used the Magic Wand (sometimes old school is the best) with a tolerance setting of 20 - selected the areas and then apply a Levels adjustment layer masked to adjust the exposure turning the gray area white

Or you could simply paint a white layer over your transitional areas to cover them.

Either way - a blend mode would only help after you have added something to cover/adjust the areas.

kevinstohlmeyer_2-1699390177673.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin. I guess there is no other way than creating a mask for each gray area first. Since most branches are also gray and not in focus, a lot of fine tuning will be required (which I was hoping to avoid).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Matt33432151x6sl color range wasnt detailed enough and even adjusting selected too much - so I went low-tech with the Magic Wand. Using the tolerance settings, I could adjust each area while holding shift to keep adding to the selection in pieces worked best to give me a head start.

After that it is a lot of manual painting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's one hard selection.  Even after a lot of messing with it, I still can't see any sort of satisfactory result.  Are you donomg this to use the image, or to practice, or what?

image.png

If I had to use it, I'd rebuild it if I could, but even that is difficult because there is not enough detail to see what to build

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, this is the background of a picture I took a while ago; I removed the subject (a bird) to make the issue clearer. I'm getting back to photography and Photoshop again, and just wanted to give this another shot, hoping Photoshop has some enhacements that will make the processing easier. It's both a challenge and practice.
As you said it is a tough selection, but I like the progress you made on it. Rebuilding the background is also an option. I will keep experimenting. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines