• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPS metadata lost on save of PNG file

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest (as of October 20, 2017) versions of Photoshop and camera raw, all available Adobe CC updates applied.

I am losing GPS metadata - and ONLY GPS metadata - when I save a PNG file from Photoshop. This has only started happening recently.

Steps:

- Using ACDSee add GPS latitude/longitude (and other metadata like IPTC content) to a raw (NEF) file. Data is saved in a XMP sidecar file.

- Open NEF file in camera raw, do some edits, open in Photoshop.

- Save as PSD - the GPS (and other metadata) is saved in the PSD file.

- Do some edits, saving to PSD as I go.

- Do a final Save As to a PNG file (not Save for Web or Export - just a normal Save As). All metadata, including GPS, is present in the PNG file.

- Open the PNG file (which definitely has the GPS data at this point) in Photoshop, do some minor edit (eg: levels), save (not Save As, just Save).

- GPS data is gone from the PNG file, but all other metadata is still there - ONLY the GPS data is lost.

- Say some bad words, put the GPS metadata back.

So the GPS metadata is only lost when I open an existing PNG file in Photoshop and save it.

Seems awfully specific to only lose the GPS data. I suspect there is something "helpfully" stripping it out. I could not find any preference setting for this. What am I missing?

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Hi David,

Please take a look at this article Missing GPS Data from exported Images and let us know if that helps.

Thanks.

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Please take a look at this article Missing GPS Data from exported Images and let us know if that helps.

Thanks.

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Link to Missing GPS Data from exported Images 

seems to be wrong. Please correct it. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines