• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient Mask tab is disappearing

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I''m doing something wrong but it looks more like Photoshop not working correctly.

If I use a gradient to mask a layer, I can use the controls on the document or in the properties window to adjust the gradient. For some reason, when I deselect and return to this layer mask, the gradient option is gone and all that is left is a Layer Mask with controls for Density and Feather. The icon for the gradient mask is missing.

I should add that this is a gradient mask, often on a gradient layer.  So, I am creating a radial gradient layer and then masking with a linear or angular gradient. It works fine while I'm adjusting and then stops appearing as an option after I have deselected and reselected it. But if I create a new layer w/gradient mask and reselect original, it sometimes reappears as an option...

I have found that if I apply a gradient mask to another layer and then return to the original layer, the tap reappears. 

Basically, photoshop is acting like I rasterized the gradient ramp...

Anyone else have this issue?

Windows 10 Pro

nVidia RTX 4090

96 Gb RAM

i7-6800k @ 3.4

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer masks are raster images so they are indeed rasterized. Rather than a mask, try putting a gradient layer with a Foreground to Transparent gradient below the original gradient, and make a Clipping Group of the two. That way, you can use the controls of the lower layer to adust the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to find any information Photoshop's Clipping Groups. Are you refering to Clipping Layers?

Have you tried that? It doesn't seem to work the way a mask works.

I am looking for an editable gradient that I can use to mask the layers transparency. 

Clipping Layers include the opacity of the Layer below, I need it to exclude in addition subtract.

Here's an example. The first panel is the gradient that I need to mask. The second panel is the gradient that I am using as a mask. The third panel is the result with clipping layers. The fourth result is what I am trying to accomplish and what IS accomplished but the gradient randomly diassapears and is rasterized at the least convenient times.

gradient_mask_raster_limitation.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The term seems to be Clipping Masks. The lower gradient needs to be some color to transparent for this to work:

Semaphoric_0-1703197846232.png

When editing the gradient, you don't use the Properties panel, but Layer > Layer Content Options... which is Old School, and doesn't have the slick interface you get when the layer is created:

Semaphoric_1-1703198407543.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I don't know. It looks like the same result, regardless of color or Layer Content Options

gradient_mask_raster_limitation_2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's really buggy to me, is that the gradient tool works as a mask for a while and then stops working - like Photoshop is doing some housekeeping and randomly decides to rasterize the gradient.

No one else on the internet is using the gradient tool in their masks? I have plenty of ram and gpu - can anyone else confirm this behavior? I'm about ready to go back to Nuke for my print jobs.

As a workaround, open a new document and do the masking there and embed into main document as a smart object, it seems to maintain the gradient mask if the document is not burdened by a bunch of other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I see there is the Object Gradient has transparency in it, so the 'control' layer shows through. I also mis-spoke re the Properties panel, which needs the Gradient tool to be selected.

Semaphoric_0-1703202970575.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alright, so this appears to be a limitation. If the 'Object Gradient' has transparency, then the clipping mask doesn't work as a gradient, it would need to be rasterized first. Whereas, the gradient as a Mask works, but for some reason, is rasterized at random times durring the session. Interesting. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines