• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphics card and 10 bit color

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom quite a lot with 30 Mb raw files (24 Mp) and fairly simple use of Photoshop now and then. In my desktop system I have an old Nvidia GeForce 760 card with 2 Mb GDDR5. It works quite OK, but it's not lightning fast, and it does not support 10 bit color. (I have an Eizo CS2420, the rest of the system (i5, M2 SSD) is newer (2019) than the graphics card).

If I was to upgrade the card, what do I need to have 10 bit color and gain some speed for the heavier functions?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Any decent model should do. The GTX 1660 seems pretty popular.

Previously you needed a Quadro for 10 bit color, but there was a change of policy a while back, when Nvidia introduced their "studio" branch of drivers. These drivers support 10 bit color in GeForce cards (except, I suppose, in the most basic/inexpensive models).

Quadros are still considered a bit more reliable and rugged, but also increasingly expensive. The relatively affordable P-series is now replaced by the RTX series, at a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any decent model should do. The GTX 1660 seems pretty popular.

Previously you needed a Quadro for 10 bit color, but there was a change of policy a while back, when Nvidia introduced their "studio" branch of drivers. These drivers support 10 bit color in GeForce cards (except, I suppose, in the most basic/inexpensive models).

Quadros are still considered a bit more reliable and rugged, but also increasingly expensive. The relatively affordable P-series is now replaced by the RTX series, at a considerably higher cost, and it may not be good return on investment unless you do pretty advanced and specialized stuff.

So a GeForce GTX 1660 (or upwards) should work well. But use the studio driver, and I would also recommend to install only the basic driver and skip the extra components. Remove your old driver completely first. You'll need to enable 10 bit color in the new driver. It's not on by default.

Note that the latest Photoshop release, 22.3, has a bug that may prevent all advanced functions in the driver, including 10 bit. If that happens, revert to 22.2 which works well. It's been reported and a fix is expected in a future release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and a fix has now come, with 22.3.1. Everything should now work reliably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I have been slow to act on your advice - and now there is this chip shortage. GTX1660 prices have gone through the roof, but from my favourite online store; Quadro P400 and P620 are still available at reasonable prices. Are they comparable performance-wise or should I just wait for prices to come back down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At the present time I would not recommend either. The P400 is definitely underpowered by now, the P620 borderline. It will probably work, but it won't be very future proof. Any Photoshop update may leave it behind.

I have two machines with P2000-series cards, and I have started the countdown. They work well now, but once the prices start coming down again I'll start looking at something like RTX 3070 or 3080. For now I'm waiting it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines