Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grayscale tiff file back to color?

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to change a tiff file in grayscale mode to color? The file was orginially in color but then converted to grayscale mode and and saved as a tiff file. 

Can anyone help with this?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you convert Grayscale mode to Color; yes. Use the Image>Mode menu option. Now instead of one color channel, you have three (RGB)

Will the color reappear; NO. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then there would be no way to get the color back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Seano1

The original color rendering is gone from that document. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Seano1 wrote:

Where would you expect the color information to reside in a grayscale image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If necessary try 

Filter > Neural Filters > Colorize 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been meaning to try this filter!  Does it work well?  I don't run into a situation where I need to colorize a b&w very often.  All the ways I know to colorize a grayscale image are complicated and time consuming.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have MacOS according to your tags, you can recover older versions using Time Machine sometimes without an external drive if it's no more than a day or two. MacOS APFS file system does keep local file snapshots which would restore the file before you converted it.

https://www.imore.com/how-us-time-machine-local-snapshots-recover-data-your-mac-laptop

There are also great cloud storage backup options, Backblaze being my personal favorite.

If restoring files is going to cost time, money and business, it may be well worth the investment.

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/best-backup-services

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are ways to colorize a grayscale image, but I do not believe it's possible to revert back to the original colors.

This doesn't help you now, but for future projects I'd recommend making an additional layer to convert to grayscale as a way of working non-destructively.  

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines