• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GTX 960M GPU not recognized by Photoshop CC 2018 - Win10

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exhausted all a lot of the suggestion solutions I have found here, so I am posting a call for help.

History

I have Windows 10 on an ASUS Zenbook (i7/4k display) laptop with in Intel graphics processor on the chip plus an NVIDIA GTX 960M GPU.  Originally had the pre-Creator's Editor Win 10 version and Photoshop CC 2015.5.  The laptop's GPU (NVIDIA GTX 960M) was not being used by Photoshop and any attempt to "force" the GPU to be used through the NVIDIA Control Panel would cause Photoshop to hang upon startup and not run.

I updated to Photoshop 2018 and TA-DA! the GPU was recognized and there was joy throughout the land.

In November, Microsoft forced the Creator's Update onto this laptop.  It resulted in a complete corruption of my hard drive and I had to reinstall Windows 10 and all my applications including Creative Cloud apps.

Since this update to Creative Cloud, the GPU no longer is recognized by Photoshop.  Attempts to "force" the GPU to be used through the NVIDIA Control Panel cause Photoshop to hang upon startup and not run.  Attempts to run Photoshop CC 2015.5 and CC 2017 with the GPU forced on through the NVIDIA Control Panel cause those versions to hang as well upon startup (the splash screen never goes away).

I have ensured that I have the most current NVIDIA GPU drivers.  My Creative Cloud version of Photoshop is current.  All Microsoft patches have been applied.  I have an IT background before photography so I am competent about updating software.

Lightroom identifies the GPU just fine.  Premier's Media Encoder identifies the GPU just fine.  Other GPU apps have no problem finding GPU.  The problem seems to only be related to Photoshop.

I need the GPU for a chromakey extraction and face re-sizing plug-in I have in.  The speed improvement when the GPU is used is tremendous and needed for on-site shooting/extracting projects.  If I can't fix this, I will have to consider dumping this 12-month old laptop and look for a new laptop with a supported GPU.

Is there someone I can talk with to go through any other settings/configuration fixes for this?

I have attached the relevant parts of my "System Info" display.  Right off the bat, I have a question about the following two settings:

NumGLGPUs=1

NumCLGPUs=3

Shouldn't there be two GLGPUs instead of one listed?  CLGPUs is set to 3 with two of those entries being the on-board Intel video processor and the GTX 960M listed as number 3.  Seems odd.

I can provide other elements if those are relevant.

Thanks!

-Mike

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.0 20171103.r.190 2017/11/03: 1143799  x64

Number of Launches: 29

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Version: 10 or greater 10.0.16299.15

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2592 MHz

Built-in memory: 16248 MB

Free memory: 2 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 14319 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %

Surface Dial: Enabled.

Alias Layers: Disabled.

Modifier Palette: Enabled.

Highbeam: Enabled.

Image tile size: 1024K

Image cache levels: 4

Font Preview: Medium

TextComposer: Latin

Display: 1

Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1080, right=1920

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

AIFCoreInitialized=1

AIFOGLInitialized=1

OGLContextCreated=1

NumGLGPUs=1

NumCLGPUs=3

NumNativeGPUs=0

glgpu[0].GLVersion="4.1"

glgpu[0].IsIntegratedGLGPU=0

glgpu[0].GLMemoryMB=1024

glgpu[0].GLName="Intel(R) HD Graphics 530"

glgpu[0].GLVendor="Intel"

glgpu[0].GLVendorID=32902

glgpu[0].GLDriverVersion="21.20.16.4550"

glgpu[0].GLRectTextureSize=16384

glgpu[0].GLRenderer="Intel(R) HD Graphics 530"

glgpu[0].GLRendererID=6427

glgpu[0].HasGLNPOTSupport=1

glgpu[0].GLDriver="C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_463164d40c3d26ce\igdumdim64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_463164d40c3d26ce\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_463164d40c3d26ce\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_463164d40c3d26ce\igd12umd64.dll"

glgpu[0].GLDriverDate="20161111000000.000000-000"

glgpu[0].CanCompileProgramGLSL=1

glgpu[0].GLFrameBufferOK=1

glgpu[0].glGetString[GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION]="1.30 - Build 21.20.16.4550"

glgpu[0].glGetProgramivARB[GL_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM_ARB][GL_MAX_PROGRAM_INSTRUCTIONS_ARB]=[1447]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS]=[8]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[192]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[32]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS]=[32]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_DRAW_BUFFERS]=[8]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS]=[4096]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS]=[4096]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VARYING_FLOATS]=[64]

glgpu[0].glGetIntegerv[GL_MAX_VERTEX_ATTRIBS]=[16]

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_PROGRAM]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_SHADER]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_SHADER]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_EXT_FRAMEBUFFER_OBJECT]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_TEXTURE_FLOAT]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_OCCLUSION_QUERY]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_VERTEX_BUFFER_OBJECT]=1

glgpu[0].extension[AIF::OGL::GL_ARB_SHADER_TEXTURE_LOD]=0

clgpu[0].CLPlatformVersion="2.0 "

clgpu[0].CLDeviceVersion="2.0 "

clgpu[0].IsIntegratedCLGPU=1

clgpu[0].CLMemoryMB=6491

clgpu[0].CLName="Intel(R) HD Graphics 530"

clgpu[0].CLVendor="Intel(R) Corporation"

clgpu[0].CLVendorID=32902

clgpu[0].CLDriverVersion="21.20.16.4550"

clgpu[0].CLBandwidth=1.52044e+10

clgpu[0].CLCompute=56.8362

clgpu[1].CLPlatformVersion="2.0 "

clgpu[1].CLDeviceVersion="2.0 "

clgpu[1].IsIntegratedCLGPU=1

clgpu[1].CLMemoryMB=6491

clgpu[1].CLName="Intel(R) HD Graphics 530"

clgpu[1].CLVendor="Intel(R) Corporation"

clgpu[1].CLVendorID=32902

clgpu[1].CLDriverVersion="21.20.16.4550"

clgpu[1].CLBandwidth=1.63688e+10

clgpu[1].CLCompute=56.5941

clgpu[2].CLPlatformVersion="1.2"

clgpu[2].CLDeviceVersion="1.2 CUDA"

clgpu[2].IsIntegratedCLGPU=0

clgpu[2].CLMemoryMB=2048

clgpu[2].CLName="GeForce GTX 960M"

clgpu[2].CLVendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

clgpu[2].CLVendorID=4318

clgpu[2].CLDriverVersion="390.77"

clgpu[2].CLBandwidth=6.9621e+10

clgpu[2].CLCompute=398.414

License Type: Subscription

Serial number: 90970143676219528356

GUIDBucket:

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\

Temporary file path: C:\Users\k8jz_vg3\AppData\Local\Temp\

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Scratch volume(s):

Startup, 475.8G, 195.0G free

Required Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Required\Plug-Ins\

Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Plug-Ins\

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

I have a Dell laptop with an Intel 530 built-in graphics processor and a separate Nvidia 960M.  Like you, when I first got the laptop, CC would not recognise the 960M. I couldn't disable the 530 because the system's routine graphics functions used this processor. Then I changed 3D settings in the Nvidia Control Panel so that Photoshop.exe and Sniffer.exe would use the Nvidia processor.  After this, CC saw and used the Nvidia processor. You report that you have done this too and CC still does not

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Windows dvice manager to disable not use the Intel device.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No joy.  Photoshop CC shows no GPU under the "Performance" setting when the Intel 530 on board video adapter is disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Dell laptop with an Intel 530 built-in graphics processor and a separate Nvidia 960M.  Like you, when I first got the laptop, CC would not recognise the 960M. I couldn't disable the 530 because the system's routine graphics functions used this processor. Then I changed 3D settings in the Nvidia Control Panel so that Photoshop.exe and Sniffer.exe would use the Nvidia processor.  After this, CC saw and used the Nvidia processor. You report that you have done this too and CC still does not use see the Nvidia card.  Can I just check with you that you included both photoshop.exe and sniffer.exe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You, Sir, will never have to buy an adult beverage when you are with me.  You GOT IT!

I had used the NVIDIA Control Panel to set Photoshop to use the 960M GPU, but no where did anyone say I needed to add Sniffer to the list of programs in the NVIDIA Control Panel and set it to use the 960M GPU.  Setting Photoshop to use use the GPU was only half the solution.

Thank you! Thank you!

Ever go to ImagingUSA PPA Convention?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, coul you explain how to do that change in the Nvidia Control Panel.

I have almost the same problema.. ASUS GL771J NVIDIA GTX 960M, Adobe programs cc2018 don't work well.. have no idea how to install Sniffer.exe

i'll appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much, your contribution has helped me a lot.

Also, I had to go to the Nvidia site to download the latest update of my graphic cart (Windows could not find an update via the control panel). Once done, I had access at the Nvidia Control Panel (the NVIDIA Control Panel did not detect my screen before that). I did the operation you specified, and Photoshop finally detected my graphics card again!

(I'm on Photoshop 22.0 version and have the Nvidia 960M graphics card.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines