• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has anyone had this problem saving a photoshop file?

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not save “xxx.psd” because the file is already in use or was left open by another application. Use “chooser” to select a printer and try again. 

This comes up every time I try and save a Photoshop file update. The only thing to do is always to “save as a copy” so now I have several copies of the same file.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Are you working locally or across a network? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has happened to me occasionally. Reason unknown. It's a hassle. When it happens I save with a new file name, delete the previous file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen when working on local volumes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been several posts with a similar issue just lately.  I started answering by asking if they are loading theses files from a network drive, and to try Save As with a different file name as a workaround, but I am wondering if there is an issue/bug now.   Does this only happen with the release version? i.e. have you tried the Beta version and of yes, does that also have this issue.

AFAIK none of the other threads had an ongoing issue, so have you tried restarting Photoshop and the computer?  I always suggest resetting Preferences till all else fails, but if it really is ongoing, then I'd be inclined to try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on windows. Just one instance of photoshop has this problem.

1. Reboot.

2. Double click a psd file. (It's at a local file system.)

3. Hide any layer or something.

4. Save. (Ctrl+s)

Untitled 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact issue intermittently. It usually happens after I load a bunch of layered images that I want to blend and after waiting for them to load from Lightroom into Photoshop I might get this error when I try to save the first one. Then I know I am screwed and destined to spend a ton of time either saving the files or starting over. It doesn't happen all of the time. If I click to save it three times it will ask if I want to save a PSD file (I generally save in TIF) and I try that and it says it cannot save it in the current folder. I can't save it anywhere on the local disk I have loaded it from, but if I choose another disk I can save it somewhere in a folder there. It is a major pain in the ass requiring multiple clicks and saves from one drive to another. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share what versions of Photoshop and your OS you're using? 

^CM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use the latest Photography plan apps, both CC on Windows 11 evrrything fully updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines