• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help configuring new MacBook

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own a portrait studio. There are two photographesr that shoot. We are extremely busy and shoot 40+ sessions a week. Each session I shoot I cull through 300ish photos per session. My RAW files 55MB each. I open them all in ACR and cull there. I edit all the photos the other photographer takes although those are already culled. Looking to be able to open hundreds of files into ACR with no lag, run actions quickly, and just be able to work with 0 lag time. I currently don't have any issues other than my scratch disk size but my HD is small on my current macbook so I am upgrading primarily for that reason....I use dropbox so currently I have to have everything as "online only" until I edit and cull from memory cards which stinks. 

Also wondering if I could get a Macbook Air like below for less money that would still do the job? I'd like at least 2TB of storage.

Currently I have 16"/2021 M1 Max, 64GB ram, but only a 512HD

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 6.16.24 AM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 2 TB should be considered absolute minimum these days, just for managing the system. The Photoshop scratch disk alone may need 500 GB or more, depending on workflow. Storage goes elsewhere.

"Unified memory" just means that the GPU will use shared system memory. The rule of thumb for Apple silicon is to double the amount you would normally need. The GPU can eat up a lot of memory! You should at least have 32, but 64 is more comfortable.

But what I mainly wonder is, with this kind of throughput, why aren't you using Lightroom Classic? It's streamlined for high-volume high-speed work, this is what it was born to do. Using ACR seems very cumbersome and backwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to switch to LR but I am just so used to ACR and it seems so similar to me. All the LR catalogs seem cumbersome to me! haha I have downloaded LR Classic several times and always end up frustrated and back to PS. Maybe in January when things are a little slower I will try again. 

What are the benefits of LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The macbook pro I have now I found locally for sale for a good price. I don't think they even made the 512gb model for long. I grabbed it because it was definitely an upgrade from what I had but at the time I wasn't shooting as much as I am now. I was doing more editing and that is through dropbox, I just keep most files on "online only" and sync a few to local at a time. When fall comes and I shoot an entire day of sessions (sunrise to sunset) I will have zero space to cull those sessions. I have to cull from my memory card which is not ideal and so much slower. When I configure a Macbook Pro the price tag makes me want to cry. HAHA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For that kind of throughput, forget Adobe. Use Photomechanic for culling. MUCH MUCH MUCH faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also wondering if I could get a Macbook Air like below for less money that would still do the job? I'd like at least 2TB of storage.

By @anejiparker

The M2 MacBook Air is quite a good Mac. The one disadvantage that might apply to you is that the MacBook Air has no fan. For most people, that’s no problem, the Mac can rest while Photoshop waits for them to do the next thing. But you are processing hundreds of files at once with batch edits in ACR, and Photoshop actions. That might keep the Mac CPU busy enough to elevate its temperature. On a MacBook Pro, the fan comes on, temperature is held down, and the Mac can proceed at full speed. On the MacBook Air, extended high performance work may cause the processor to slow down so that it can cool down.

But we don’t know if that will affect you. One way to find out is by downloading utility software that can monitor temperature and fan speed, such as TGPro, Stats, or iStatMenus. The next time you work on a huge batch on your M1 Max, see if CPU temperature gets too close to 100° C and fan speeds get loud. If they do, the MacBook Air might not be a good idea. If they don’t go up that high, if CPU temp stays under 90° and fan speed stays at or near minimum even most of the way through an edit or a run of Photoshop actions, then the MacBook Air should be able to handle that work without slowing down.

I also don’t have enough space inside my MacBook Pro for Photoshop scratch, so to hold off on having to buy a new expensive laptop, when working on photos I attach two fast large external SSDs. One holds original photos, and the other is assigned as Photoshop scratch. It’s a cheap way out, but it’s clumsy, so if it is a priority for you to be able to pick up and move the laptop without a bunch of stuff hanging off it, then yes, buy a new Mac with 2TB or more of the expensive internal storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously amazing answer! thanks!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I don’t see anything wrong with using Bridge+ACR for this if that’s what you prefer. I can understand how that might work better if you just need to slam through jobs, easily transfer edits to others without worrying about catalogs (by using XMP sidecar files), and if jobs tend to be isolated from each other.

That is despite my personal strong preference for Lightroom Classic for the kind of work I do. I find Bridge+ACR too limiting and inflexible, and lacking important productivity shortcuts, for what I do. But I can also see how that might not affect the kind of work you do.

And I guess that’s why Adobe still offers both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think this sounds precisely like where Lightroom Classic would be faster. Mainly because of flexible and convenient adjustment synchronization:

LrC_sync.png

Also quickly switching between Library grid (G) for overview, and Develop (D) for adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So currently I just highlight each section of images and hit cmd+s and it pops up the sync settings window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

option + s I mean! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think this sounds precisely like where Lightroom Classic would be faster. Mainly because of flexible and convenient adjustment synchronization…

By @D Fosse

Bridge + Camera Raw are essentially at the same level there, using the Camera Raw sync dialog. And, although the same sync settings are in Camera Raw so you can sync across your entire filmstrip just like Lightroom Classic, you don’t have to be in Camera Raw to do it. I was working in a Bridge content window (grid), selected one edited raw file, and chose Edit > Develop Settings > Copy Camera Raw Settings. Then I selected other images and chose Edit > Develop Settings > Paste Camera Raw Settings. And the following dialog box appears there too.

Bridge-Sync-Camera-Raw-Paste-Settings.jpg

So this part is no problem in Bridge or Camera Raw, and as in Lightroom Classic, those commands have keyboard shortcuts, which anejiparker already mentioned using.

Also quickly switching between Library grid (G) for overview, and Develop (D) for adjustments.

By @D Fosse

Yes, that is one reason I prefer Lightroom Classic. The problem with Bridge and Camera Raw is that it’s in a modal dialog box, so you have to exit Camera Raw to change which images appear in the filmstrip, and you have no access to the rest of Bridge while Camera Raw is open. Lightroom Classic is not restricted in this way, so the workflow is much more flexible and fluid, and mostly barrier-free.

But again, I can understand not wanting to introduce a cataloging step for images that just need to be edited and handed off straight from their folders as received, and not needing to organize, keyword, caption… (where Bridge is very slow and difficult). In this scenario, a simple file browser like Bridge is often preferable. Just load up the folder in Camera Raw, edit them, and hand off the same folder. It is also possible to bulk export from within Camera Raw, just like bulk exporting from Lightroom Classic.

(There are also the ongoing complaints that the Lightroom Classic Develop module seems slower and laggier than the Camera Raw window, even with the same features.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Conrad_C  OK, you're probably right. When I consider it more closely, it's probably the G and D shortcuts that loosen up the whole workflow the most, not the synchronisation as such.

Also, when it comes to handling a 400 frame-shoot in a hurry, habit is king 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even use Bridge....

I just open up a full session in ACR (usually 300-400 files) hit delete on the files I don't like and close ACR.

Then add what I kept to a folder, name it my clients name and drop it in my shared studio folder.

Then when I edit I pull all those files back into ACR and do adjustments....all I do in photoshop is portraiture, sharpen, and fix skin or background issues.

If I am culling to a specific number like 30 files then I usually end up keeping more my first cull but Ill have 40-50 files (just an average) syncing in drop box then when I go back to make adjustments in ACR I can delete more if needed but I will have all those extras able to be restored in ACR just in case I need them. 

I've been doing it this way since the beginning (17ish years). 

However I am ALWAYS open to making my work flow more streamlined. I have downloaded a few of the newer AI programs and was especially intrigued by Capture One's AI WB and exposure....but it just didn't seem to work as well for me as they say...I was still going back and making adjustments on almost every file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Bridge at work because I know Extendscript but not Lua. Being able to write scripts for production is THE best feature of Bridge, hands down. I'm doing a huge batch job (adding text overlays to around 16,000 photos) and would never finish if it wasn't for Bridge and Photoshop scripting. As it is, almost all of the workflow from Excel to finished PSD and exported JPEG is automated, I am not doing anything by hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also forgot to mention…on your current 64GB M1 Max, also monitor the Memory tab in Activity Monitor as you work. If Memory Pressure is often green (mostly empty graph), the 24GB Unified Memory on the Air should be OK. But if the Memory Pressure graph often gets half filled up or more, and tends to turn orange or even red sometimes as you work through a shoot, that would mean you really do need 64GB of Unified Memory, and the 24GB maximum on the Air would not be enough and should no longer be considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 This was doing a quick batch...

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 4.10.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on that Memory Pressure graph, you might possibly be OK with the 24GB maximum Unified Memory on a MacBook Air. On that quick batch job, there was plenty of memory headroom at all times. But you should also do that not just on a quick batch, but also stress test it on the toughest job you typically come across. That might mean a job where hundreds of images need to be run through Photoshop actions, and also a job where a single Photoshop document from your highest resolution sensor needs to be edited with many layers and effects.

If Memory Pressure remains green even on your toughest jobs, then you don’t really need all 64GB of memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a working pro and my production machine is currently an M1 mini, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, with a desk full of hard drives hanging off it. I use 5D IV and 5Dsr cameras so large RAW files, and edit in 16 bit. I'd love a Mac Studio but the budget just isn't there 😞
Regardless, this machine is much faster than any Intel Mac I've used in the past. I'd just go for whatever your budget allows. Thunderbolt external SSDs are a quick way to expand storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the R5 so stupid large files but this is good to know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re on a budget, there’s a middle ground for external SSDs that you can aim for.

USB 2, 480Mbps — slow older standard, avoid

USB 3, 5Gbps — might work fine, but is slow older standard

USB 3, 10Gbps — this is the sweet spot. Fast enough for photography, now very common and affordable.

USB 3 2x2, 20Gbps — Very new, not currently supported by Macs.

Thunderbolt 4/USB 4, 40Gbps — Very expensive, might not need all the speed just for photo editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has numerous models with USB4/Thunderbolt 4. The USB people are idiots, frankly. Their labeling makes NO sense.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/breaking-down-how-usb4-goes-where-no-usb-standard-has-gone-b...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, that’s why I never use the labels, nobody can remember what they all mean. I only talk about what speed you want to look for. As long as the drive enclosure, cable, and computer port all meet the speed you want, it’s good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines