• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Photoshop CS6 hangs when using brush, clone, healing brush tools etc on Mac

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a big problem when using the new CS6 on my Mac (os x 10.7.4). When switching to a new tool, like a brush, or clone stamp, or healing brush etc, Photoshop hangs for about 20 seconds before resuming. It's not 3rd party plug-ins, because I get the same behaviour when I run using the shift key and third party plug-ins are disabled. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens frequently. I've heard that others have had similar problems... are there any solutions - is it a known bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 405 Replies 405
Enthusiast ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can erase it from my post but it is still stated here.

"You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released."

http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2013/03/5-myths-about-adobe-creative-cloud.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates please Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe does not make money fixing bugs. They make it releasing applications. Only if they have the resources available, will they fix bugs.  The cloud is your friend."

"And with the cloud subscription model they won't have to fix bugs or release updated applications to make money."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't expecting this thread to still be active.

I'm having the hanging issues on my surface pro, with Flash Pro. Easily reproducable. I'll get on recording a video of it, and see if it helps.

For the record, tapping the windows bar immediately causes flash to respond. So whenever flash freezes, simply tapping the taksbar makes it respond. This doesn't help much, as the program continues to freeze upon the next action.

I know this thread is for Photoshop on the mac, but the issues are similar, and you don't seem to be making much progress, so maybe it'll help.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It unfreezes when the mouse hovers over the taskbar, doesn't have to click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news if this has been fixed in Photoshop CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - like F.E.S., I would love to know about CC, and if it fixes this problem - although I feel CS6 should not have the bug in the first place. But if CC fixes it, at least it would be a reason to consider switching to it. Anyone know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using cc for a couple of days now, and I've gotten no hangs. Seems to be fixed in cc. Now if they could just fix the disappearing cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just coming back to the forum in order to report that, in the last couple of days or so, I have repeatedly seen the disappearing cursor in non-Adobe applications, conspicuously so in Firefox, under Tiger 10.4.11 in a G5 Quad, driven by a video card with 512 MB of VRAM. 

Looks like, at least in my case, an Apple bug that manifests itself in a random and non-reproducible fashion. 

The problem is easily and instantly solved by switching applications, or hitting F10 to mute the sound, or a number of actions like that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like, at least in my case, an Apple bug that manifests itself in a random and non-reproducible fashion. 

But this never happens in CS5 on the same machine on the same boot partition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a couple of no-hanging days using Photoshop CC, I just had my first hang after selecting a brush. Same behavior as with CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AllynSar wrote:

After a couple of no-hanging days using Photoshop CC, I just had my first hang after selecting a brush. Same behavior as with CS6.

It seems to be more and more obvious that engineering has taken a downturn at Adobe. I suspect this is the biggest reason for the new rent model. It is becoming more difficult to implement new feature, create bug free software or fix bugs in existing releases.

Just look at 13.0.2, 13.0.3 and 13.0.4 all of them creating more problems then they have solved and not one of them fixed this hang issue or the icon corruption problem.

At least the great thing for those that decide to try the CC is that you only have a month of rent into it, so if it is defective you can just cancel it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, first brush tool hang just happened in PSCC for me. Depressing.

Can we PLEASE get some feedback from Adobe aout this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the problem too in CC. Maybe if I post a new thread enitlted bug in Photoshop CC, Adobe will pay more attention - they've probably given up on CS6 now. Again, really disappointed with Adobe response on this; just the silence is shocking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't expecting it to still be active either, it seems as though this problem really has haled itself out among users for quite a long time now.

I'm having hanging issues with Adobe Flash CS6 professional. If I'm using any tool other than the brush tool, Flash is decently functional, but when I choose or revert back to the brush tool it lags out for a few seconds.

An estranged concern of mine is that I own and use a Tablet PC. A Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet, I thought that my problems would be entirely foreign to most of the community who own different types of tablets.

When choosing the brush tool with the touch pad or mouse, it works fine, but when I tap the brush icon, on screen with the Lenovo pen(the Tablet is Wacom penabled but I haven't bought one yet), that's the only occasion it lags out for a couple seconds.

I also have another problem, I have Photoshop CS6, and the lag when painting with the brush is so extremely great, it renders the application useless, and that "great" is in matters of amount. I've removed the application from my desktop recently, because I've somehow came to think it was affecting my RAM space(as these softwares are notorious for consuming huge ass amounts of it), as another problem arised--My Adobe Flash CS6 professional--perfectly functional then, had been starting to have the same brush stroke lag problem as my Photoshop CS6. I checked my System info and realized I actually have a lot of space left, 5 GBs at that.

I'm eating cereal right now.

Anyways, the brush lag on Adobe Flash has died down quite a bit after deleting Photoshop(as if it were somehow affected by it's pure existence), but there's an issue at how when I take a stroke with the brush tool to fast, it either doesn't recognize it and doesn't show up at all, or near the beginning of the stroke is straightened out, and then it properly curves out again like how I priginally drew it.

You all seem to be aware of these softwares well, and have greater issues and have had them resolved, so I thought you guys could help. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In further response to Rex Lokus' post above, shaking the pen is still working for me. I know this is not perfect but it makes CS6 useable and this bug is now only a minor hindrance for me. I am going to hold out as long as possible in CS6 in the hope that Adobe eventually sees the light and goes back to an optional 'normal licence' model. I don't have the fastest or most reliable internet and don't live in a major population centre so being dependent on the vagaries of adobe's CC model just don't sit well with me. Thanks Rex, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, we're still waiting for your response on this bug. Please could you get back to me with an update? I'm so massively frustrated with this issue now. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this issue, several times daily. Using CC on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news? Anyone else seeing this behaviour in CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have so few people signing up for the cloud why would they even bother when they couldn't be bothered about this with CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe? I'm getting the hang every hour in PSCC. Would love some advice. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I need to get major work done where this bug crops I go to CS5. CS6 is okay for casual use where you have time to wait a few seconds after selecting a tool.

The reality is that Adobe has no interest in fixing this so we just have to use what ever tool works the best, and hope that a major shakeup happens at Adobe instead of continuing their downward spiral.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you're right, I just don't want to believe it.

Photoshop is my life. Professional user since version 3.0. I use it all day, every day, and rarely go into other apps. As well as using the app to create art professionally, I've written for many magazines and books about Photoshop.

So it's important for my career to stay up to date withe the latest version of PS, and besides that I love the app and enjoy the new features. PS CS6 was the best version for years, so it was a bit heartbreaking that it was crippled by such a show-stopping bug.

That Adobe is seemingly unintersted in fixing the bug that has made its way into CC and has affected so many users is distressing, to say the least.

My workflow has been ruined by this bug. I can't depend on the one tool that I use to make a living and am now being been effectively ignored by Adobe.

I think I've been courteous and patient in this thread and would appreciate if Adobe could reciprocate with a solution to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was DYP wrote:

The reality is that Adobe has no interest in fixing this so we just have to use what ever tool works the best, and hope that a major shakeup happens at Adobe instead of continuing their downward spiral.

I imagine Adobe wants it to work quickly and properly for everyone.

That said, it's pretty clear not everyone's seeing the problem, and they may have assigned this to the category of "the user's computer is probably bolloxed up and it's not our problem".

I suggest that at this point, if they're not engaging you further, that you may need to do more to avail yourself and your system to Adobe.  That, or buy a new computer (or parts) that circumvent the problem.

I know I don't see any sluggisness at all on my Windows setup. Any other Mac users here having no sluggishness or slowdowns whatsoever?  Please list your hardware setup if so.  These guys may want to try to make theirs like yours.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel is right here that we definitely want this fixed, but haven't been able to reproduce this in-house yet.

If anybody that can reproduce this reliably and is in the Bay Area in California, we'd love to try to get to you, or have you come to us so we can reproduce this and begin to debug it.

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't doubt Adobe's diligence on trying to troubleshoot this bug but blaming it on all of the user's computers is a stretch. This issue arose in CS6 for me (and others). I was using it on the same Mac OS as the previous version (CS5). It certainly could be an incompatibility with some Apple hardware or software but since CS5 was trouble-free it seems less likely.

I'm still getting the hang but it is intermittent. Some days I will get it several times, yesterday not at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines